History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moses Hill Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Fernhurst, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0623 / 51°3'44"N

Longitude: -0.7295 / 0°43'46"W

OS Eastings: 489131

OS Northings: 129984

OS Grid: SU891299

Mapcode National: GBR DD4.8DT

Mapcode Global: FRA 96C9.TXM

Entry Name: Moses Hill Farm

Listing Date: 18 June 1959

Last Amended: 4 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1232775

English Heritage Legacy ID: 301750

Location: Fernhurst, Chichester, West Sussex, GU27

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester

Civil Parish: Fernhurst

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Fernhurst St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Haslemere

Listing Text

FERNHURST MARLEY HEIGHTS
SU 82 NE
6/24 Moses Hill Farm
18.6.59
GV II

Farmhouse. West part is a C14 former open hall with inserted ceiling and
chimneystack of c1600 when the property was owned by a John Moses, with a
formerly detached hunting lodge of c1860 to the east, the two parts linked by a
wing of c1904. West wing is timberframed faced in stone rubble. Steeply
pitched tiled roof with large panelled brick chimneystack. North front has
exposed jowled posts with diagonal tension braces and 1 blocked 4 light
C16 diamond mullioned window. Gabled dormer and 3 C20 windows. West front has
4 modern dormers. South front has exposed framing on the 1st floor, close-
studding with some diagonal tension braces. The central link block of 1904 is
roughcast to the ground floor and hung with fishscale tiles above. East wing of
c1860 is of red brick (partially painted) on the ground floor and tile hung on
the 1st floor with tiled roof and casement windows. West wing has a lounge with
c1600 large 4-centred arched brick fireplace and inserted ceiling with 2 inch
chamfered spine beam with lamb's tongue stops and similar detailed floor
joists. 1st floor has thick upright posts with wide jowls. Sans-purlin roof
with crown posts, square in section, with curved head braces and curved tension
braces on either side. C14 carpenter's marks. End bay to south has pattern of
curved tension bracing additionally underneath the tie beam and rush light
marks. Attic not inspected but smoke blackened rafters reported. East wing has
c1860 wooden mantelpiece and cupboards in early C17 style with cocks head hinges
and 6 panelled doors. In the late C19 a gamekeeper occupied part of the west
wing which also had stabling.


Listing NGR: SU8913129984

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.