History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thornton College

A Grade II Listed Building in Thornton, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0196 / 52°1'10"N

Longitude: -0.9063 / 0°54'22"W

OS Eastings: 475144

OS Northings: 236251

OS Grid: SP751362

Mapcode National: GBR BYY.CNL

Mapcode Global: VHDT4.7HQM

Entry Name: Thornton College

Listing Date: 15 April 1980

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1232800

English Heritage Legacy ID: 408202

Location: Thornton, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK17

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Thornton

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Thornton with Nash

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Leckhampstead

Listing Text

SP 73 NE THORNTON

4/177 Thornton College

15/4/80

GV II

Mansion. Circa 1850 rebuilding designed by John Tarring for Richard
Cavendish of a late C18 remodelling incorporating the fabric of a
medieval house, home of Robert Ingleton, chancellor to Edward IV.
Cement rendered with stone dressings and steeply pitched slate roofs
in Gothic style. Two storeys and attics. E. front: 1 : 2 : 1 : 2 :1
bays, end bays gabled and slightly advanced with shallow two storey bay
windows with quatrefoil and trefoil friezes. Centre has two storey
and attic gabled ashlar porch with octagonal turrets, pinnacles and similar
friezes, moulded ogee arched doorway with traceried door and
Cavendish arms on carved panel above. All bays have moulded stone
string course and parapet coping. 2 and 4-light mullion windows with
four-centred arched lights, transomed to ground floor and with
hood-moulds to ground floor and attics. Wing to S.W. has traceried
hall windows and square embattled tower in the angle. Former brewhouse
wing adjoining NW : rubble stone, two storeys and attic, five bays
of windows to rear. Interior: good c.1850 interior, staircase, stair
window with heraldic stained glass and gothic screen to staircase
hall with rib vaulted corridor behind. Enriched moulded ceilings in
library, tower, porch and drawing room which has gothick doors and
arches. The present chapel is probably the original great hall but has
C19 arched brace hammerbeam roof.

Listing NGR: SP7514036253

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.