This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0176 / 51°1'3"N
Longitude: -3.087 / 3°5'13"W
OS Eastings: 323846
OS Northings: 124810
OS Grid: ST238248
Mapcode National: GBR M1.J5QZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 46FF.754
Entry Name: St Margaret's Leper Hospital
Listing Date: 4 June 1952
Last Amended: 4 July 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1232831
English Heritage Legacy ID: 269752
Location: Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA1
District: Taunton Deane
Town: Taunton Deane
Electoral Ward/Division: Taunton Halcon
Built-Up Area: Taunton
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
St Margaret's Leper
listed as St Margaret's)
ST 2324 NE 13/12 4.6.52.
Early leper hospital rebuilt in early C16. Converted and occupied as almshouses
1612-1938. Restored by Rural Community Council and occupied by them since 1959.
Long freestanding single storey building. Mostly of local shillet stone, now whitewashed.
Thatched roof with attic rising to right. Thatch eaves on scrolled wrought-iron
brackets to rear. Brick stack to right gable, stone parapet to left gable end.
New oak supports to front verandah. Singele and double leaded lights under wooden
lintels. Original oak doorframes with Tudor arched lintels. On front is a stone
tablet with the arms of Abbot Bere of Glastonbury, the original restorer of the
Listing NGR: ST2384624810
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings