This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1611 / 51°9'39"N
Longitude: 1.0048 / 1°0'17"E
OS Eastings: 610197
OS Northings: 144495
OS Grid: TR101444
Mapcode National: GBR SY6.2W3
Mapcode Global: VHKKQ.C2KR
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 16 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1232978
English Heritage Legacy ID: 408375
Location: Hastingleigh, Ashford, Kent, TN25
Civil Parish: Hastingleigh
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 14 SW HASTINGLEIGH
5/69 Church of St. Mary
Parish Church. CII, C13 chancel and tower, C14 south aisle and porch.
Chancel, nave with south aisle, south west tower and western porch.
Flint, the upper stages of the tower rebuilt in red brick, with plain
tiled roof. Roll moulded west door with hollow moulded hood set in
C14 timber porch on flint base, with cusped bargeboard. Crown post
roof and benches within porch. Massive offset buttresses to north
nave. Heavily restored outer jambs of Chancel lancets and decorated
style nave windows (downpipe hopper dated 1879). Exposed jambs of
possible Anglo-Saxon north door, with C12 blocked round headed doorway
set within. Interior: 2 bay south arcade on octagonal piers, with
double chamfered arches, westernmost respond later in character. Identical
chancel arch. Jambs of tall, possibly Anglo-Saxon north door. Roof
of 3 crown posts. C13 double chamfered arch to south west tower, with
identical arch to south aisle (the arcade therefore a later rebuild
of original C13 aisle openings). Roof of 2 crown posts and brackets.
Chancel with 2 light ogee headed south-western window, otherwise 4
closely packed and uneven lancets to each of north and south walls,
with string course. Triple lancet east window with string course.
Roof of 4 crown posts, with extra moulded tie beam. Fittings: simple
trefoiled and deeply chamfered piscina in chancel, and aumbreys in
south and north walls. Turned baluster altar rail c. 1700, and contemporary
panelled pulpit. Some late medieval/C17 panelling reused in dividing
screens in church after 1879 removal of box pews., C15 rood screen,
with 5 bays with depressed ogee arch and 6 traceriedlights over in each
flanking bay. Simple arched piscina to south aisle. Wall paintings
in nave (within a round headed niche) and aisle (The Annunciation).
C13 grisaille glass, a complete lancet in the chancel north wall, and
2 C16 armorial windows in the south wall. Brass in nave floor, John
Halke, d, 1604, and Anne his wife (d. 1596). Simple inscription set
in marble slab with a detached hawk over (Grandparents of Dr. William
Harvey, the discoverer of circulation of blood). See B.O.E. Kent II,
1983, 346; church guide).
Listing NGR: TR0929244733
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings