History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clock Tower and Former Stable Block at Stockgrove Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Soulbury, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9574 / 51°57'26"N

Longitude: -0.6694 / 0°40'9"W

OS Eastings: 491528

OS Northings: 229603

OS Grid: SP915296

Mapcode National: GBR F2P.CJQ

Mapcode Global: VHFR3.B2Y9

Entry Name: Clock Tower and Former Stable Block at Stockgrove Park

Listing Date: 4 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1233071

English Heritage Legacy ID: 350900

Location: Soulbury, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, LU7

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Soulbury

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Great Brickhill

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Woburn

Listing Text

The following building shall be added

SP 92 NW SOULBURY

4/153 Clock tower and former
stable block at
Stockgrove Park

GV II

Clock tower and stable block, now dwellings. 1928-1938 by W Curtis Green for
F M Kroyer-Kielberg. Red brick with limestone dressings and pantile roofs.
Clock tower is in a light-hearted classical style and has 6 stages. Bottom
stage has tall carriage area with round-arched head and key block, flanked by
brick pilasters with stone plinths, capitals and entablature with brick frieze.
Brick spur walls to angles ending in piers with stone plinths and large obelisk
finials. Walls are stone-coped and swept up to join 1st floor storey band of
tower. 2-light casement window to 1st stage above archway with pantiled hood on
brackets; 2-light casements to 2nd and 3rd stages, smaller casements to next
stage in wide stone surround with blind fanlight above window, blank side panels
and flanking pilasters with attached obelisk finials. Fanlight has key block
directly below large octagonal stone clock face recessed in square panel. Bold
moulded stone cornice and pyramidal roof on low brick base with tall
pagoda-style open metal finial bearing weather-vane. Cantilevered canted
balconies project from sides of penultimate stage with wrought-iron balu-
strades. Low stone-coped walls connect tower to former stable and garage blocks
enclosing stable yard. 2-storey stable and garage wings flank yard and have
hipped pantile roof; now converted into dwellings. Taller, 2-storey outer
corner pavilions with single storey wings flanking archway to stable court with
round-arched head and key block. Pavilions and wings have hipped pantile roofs
and 2-light casement windows. (Country Life, Sept 30 1939, p 337.)


Listing NGR: SP9152829603

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.