History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Jane Walker Hospital

A Grade II Listed Building in Nayland-with-Wissington, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.973 / 51°58'22"N

Longitude: 0.8399 / 0°50'23"E

OS Eastings: 595163

OS Northings: 234310

OS Grid: TL951343

Mapcode National: GBR RKS.95W

Mapcode Global: VHKFK.HNXW

Entry Name: Jane Walker Hospital

Listing Date: 10 March 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1233618

English Heritage Legacy ID: 278702

Location: Nayland-with-Wissington, Babergh, Suffolk, CO6

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

Civil Parish: Nayland-with-Wissington

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Nayland St James

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Nayland

Listing Text

The following buildings shall be added to the list:-

NAYLAND WITH WISSINGTON -
TL 93 SE
15/10000 Jane Walker Hospital
GV II

Tuberculosis hospital, now psychiatric hospital. Circa 1898-1900 by Smith
and Brewer (with Dr Jane Walker as medical superintendent) for the East
Anglian Sanatorium Company. Roughcast brick with hipped and gable-ended
plain tile roofs with deep eaves. Rendered brick axial and gable end stacks
with tapered pots. Plan: Butterfly plan facing SE: with wards at front and
axial passages behind in the wings, centre of the front originally open and
with staircase behind; main entrance in gable end of west wing. The central
rear wing contains entrance and offices etc, branching from it the kitchen
wing on right and hall on left, attached to which is the chapel (qv). Late
Victorian Free Style. Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. Long SE front
1:6:1:3:1:6:1 bays. Centre 3 bays with giant polygonal piers, originally
open on ground floor. Wings at obtuse angle with canted end bays and 6
windows between divided by giant pilasters with paved eaves brackets above.
Small gables and balconies over end bays, wide flat roof dormers, centre
dormer with segmental pediment and round light, behind which a cupola with
broken cornice over paired columns and small angular dome with large
weathervane. West gable end has tall entrance with battered buttresses and
large segmental headed overlight; east end has broad lozenge-shaped stack
off centre with doorway and oriel in arched recess. Deep eaves and flat
roof dormers at rear. All casement windows with glazing bars. Hall has
weatherboarded gables jettied out on brackets, battered buttresses and
large semi-circular window in gable over entrance. Interior: Plastered
polygonal barrel-vaulted hall. Double-return main staircase on 2 floors
with short octagonal tapered columns and thick stick balusters.
Sources: 1. The Builder 29 November 1902, pp 496-7
2. A S Gray, Edwardian Architects, p334
3. A Service, Edwardian Architecture, p209

Listing NGR: TL9516334310

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.