This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1309 / 51°7'51"N
Longitude: 0.9101 / 0°54'36"E
OS Eastings: 603705
OS Northings: 140876
OS Grid: TR037408
Mapcode National: GBR SYG.2WL
Mapcode Global: VHKKN.QTGX
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 27 November 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1233902
English Heritage Legacy ID: 409326
Location: Sevington, Ashford, Kent, TN24
Civil Parish: Sevington
Built-Up Area: Ashford (Ashford)
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 04 SW MERSHAM SEVINGTON
3/144 Church of St.
27.11.57 Mary (formerly listed under
the parish of Sevington)
Parish church. C12, extended C13 and C14, restored 1877 and 1936.
Ragstone with plain tiled roof, with timber framed porch and shingled
spire. Chancel and south chapel, nave and south aisle with south porch,
western tower. Two stage tower with double offset corner buttresses.
Broach spire. Lancet west window and belfry openings and restored
hollow chamfered and roll moulded west doorway. Nave and aisle with
single catslide roof, with lancet windows and C15 label headed Perpendi-
cular windows to north nave. C16 coupled lancet windows to south
chapel, with separate gabled roof. Lancets to chancel (chancel eastern
bay extended eastwards note lack of galleting). Simple timber south
porch with wave-chamfered south door with stoup (or earlier C12 opening).
Interior: double chamfered C14 tower arch on half-octagonal responds
with crude head capitals. Simple pointed western and round-headed
eastern openings to south aisle. Trussed rafter and tie-beam nave
roof and lean-to aisle roof Chancel stepped in, with blocked round-
headed, window to south-west, with low double hollow chamfered arch
to southern chapel. Eastern lancets originally with shafts (the
capitals survive). Clasped purlin roof with moulded tie-beams.
South chapel with door and steps to rood loft (the loft fbor falling
into nave). Fittings: simple chamfered sedile and triple chamfered
piscina in chancel and simple piscina in chapel. Tomb recess in south
chapel, and recess in north nave wall. Octagonal font on 5 piers with
C19 cover. C19 altar rails, pulpit and reading desk. Stained glass:
C14 fragments in nave north-west window. Monuments: simple white and
black aedicule in chapel to Lawrence Banks, d.1830, signed Andrews,
Ashford. Lugged charity board in tower dated 1774. Royal Arms, early
C19, in nave. (See B.O.E. Went I 1983, 519).
Listing NGR: TR0476039251
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings