History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

No 1 Part of Parkhurst Prison

A Grade II Listed Building in Newport, Isle of Wight

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7179 / 50°43'4"N

Longitude: -1.3055 / 1°18'19"W

OS Eastings: 449125

OS Northings: 91150

OS Grid: SZ491911

Mapcode National: GBR 8B4.SWT

Mapcode Global: FRA 8745.Z2Y

Entry Name: No 1 Part of Parkhurst Prison

Listing Date: 1 February 1972

Last Amended: 2 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1233928

English Heritage Legacy ID: 309785

Location: Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30

County: Isle of Wight

Civil Parish: Newport

Built-Up Area: Newport (Isle of Wight)

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight

Church of England Parish: Newport St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Northwood

Listing Text

NICHOLSON STREET
1.
1445
Nos 3 to 6 (consec)
and building to west
SZ 49 SE 13/148 (part of Parkhurst Prison)

II


2.
The row of buildings was until recently linked by a large red brick
gateway with a round headed stuccoed and coved arch with blind flanking
bays, this has been demolished. The western wing was originally the
Deputy Governor's house. The eastern wing contains the prison Chaplain's
house. The buildings date from the time of Sir Joshua Jebb's work at
Parkhurst qv. 1843-44. The houses are of 2 storeys brick with hipped
slate roofs projecting eaves. 5 windows to the east wing, 4 to the west,
set in round headed stucco arches. 4 recessed doors to east wing,
one to west, of 4 fielded panels.

-----------------------------------------------------
In the entry for this item:
NICHOLSON STREET
1.
1445
Nos 3 to 6 (consec)
and building to west
SZ 49 SE 13/148 (part of Parkhurst Prison)

II

2.
The row of buildings was until recently linked by a large red brick
gateway with a round headed stuccoed and coved arch with blind flanking
bays, this has been demolished. The western wing was originally the
Deputy Governor's house. The eastern wing contains the prison Chaplain's
house. The buildings date from the time of Sir Joshua Jebb's work at
Parkhurst qv. 1843-44. The houses are of 2 storeys brick with hipped
slate roofs projecting eaves. 5 windows to the east wing, 4 to the west,
set in round headed stucco arches. 4 recessed doors to east wing,
one to west, of 4 fielded panels.

Shall be replaced by entries for the following two items:

NICHOLSON STREET
1.
5270 Nos 1
(part of Parkhurst Prison)

SZ 49 SE 13/148A

II

2.

House, now offices. 1843-44 by Sir Joshua Jebb. Red brick walls, painted stucco
dressings, slate roof, red brick stacks. L-plan, extended to rear late in C19. Two
storeys, two bays. Left hand bay has 2 sashes to ground floor, 1 to first floor.
Recessed right hand bay has a tripartite sash to both floors, the lower cutting
through a plain string course. Continuous cill band to first floor windows. Projecting
eaves, hipped roof. Two stacks. Originally joined to a mirror image of 2-6 Nicholson
Street (qv) to right. Entered via later C19 porch on return elevation. Originally
the Deputy Governor's House.


Listing NGR: SZ4912591150

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.