This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5116 / 51°30'41"N
Longitude: -0.1122 / 0°6'43"W
OS Eastings: 531098
OS Northings: 180878
OS Grid: TQ310808
Mapcode National: GBR LD.Z9
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.08JJ
Entry Name: Incorporated Accounts Hall
Listing Date: 20 September 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1234514
English Heritage Legacy ID: 207244
Location: Westminster, London, WC2R
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary le Strand with St Clement Danes
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3180 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER TEMPLE PLACE, WC2
No 2: (Incorporated
20.9.60 Accountants Hall)
Former Astor Estate Office. 1895 by J L Pearson, designed to include town flat
for Lord Astor. Portland stone, slate roof. Highly sophisticated, scholarly,
yet never slavish rendition "in small" of an Early Elizabethan style,
exquisitely executed. Symmetrical front with north west wing. 2 storeys with
steep gable end roof. 5 windows wide. 4-centred arched doorway in west side
between shallow gabled breaks, one with oriel bay. South front has 4-centred
arched grouped mullion casements between large oriel bays with leaded and
stained glass lights and crenellated parapets flanking the south front.
Saddlestones to gables with finely wrought iron finials and weathervane on
ridge, delicately detailed "Tudor" chimney stacks. Very fine and richly
decorated interiors with central staircase hall with gallery of ebony columns
surrounding it at upper level, very high quality carving in an Elizabethan
manner with inventive detailing, the roof glazed between the trusses. The
principal room on the 1st floor lies behind the south front overlooking the
Thames through the oriel bays, lavishly decorated, in particular the doors
(here and throughout the house), the central door faced with nine silver-gilt
panels by Frampton of seated female figures; the stained glass in the oriels
depicting landscapes by the firm of Clayton and Bell. A remarkable ensemble,
one of Pearson's last works, and a fin de siecle counterpoint to Pugin's
J L Pearson; Anthony Quinney.
Listing NGR: TQ3109780887
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings