This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5225 / 51°31'20"N
Longitude: -0.189 / 0°11'20"W
OS Eastings: 525737
OS Northings: 181948
OS Grid: TQ257819
Mapcode National: GBR 18.RD
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.NZXR
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Last Amended: 1 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1235288
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425934
Location: Westminster, London, W2
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: Westbourne
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Mag Paddington
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2581 NE CITY OF WESTMINSTER ROWINGTON CLOSE, W2
39/1 (north side)
25.9.51 Church of St Mary Magdalene
(formerly listed under
Church. 1867-78. By G E Street. Crypt Chapel of St Sepulchre 1895 by Sir
Ninian Comper. Red brick with ashlar spire, dressings and banding. Welsh slate
roof. High Victorian Gothic. Misorientation and unusual plan dictated by site.
(Description refers to liturgical rather than compass east). 6-bay nave with
south aisle and quasi aisle to north, south-west porch, south transept, apsidal
chancel and tower with spire to east of transept. Nave: lancets with trefoil
heads, continuous sill band and hoodmould. To clerestory, 3-light windows under
continuous hoodmould. South transept gable-ended with gabled porch, trefoil
niche above doorway containing relief carving representing Noli Me Tangere. Rose
window above. 5-stage tower with tall bell stage with ashlar banding. Staircase
turret. Spire with lucarnes. Chancel has 3-light windows with intersecting
tracery, to apse 2-light windows with Y tracery and Geometrical tracery to east
window. Continuous sill and hoodmould. Ashlar banding to jambs. Interior:
west wall arcaded with roundels in spandrels. Ashlar banding to upper wall. 2
2-light windows with Geometrical tracery with a roundel above, grouped under a
hoodmould. South arcade: clustered columns on waterholding bases with moulded
capitals, pointed arcade of 2 orders with dogtooth moulding. Similar arcade to
north wall, except octagonal,piers, intermediate slender columns to each bay
support paired narrow arches with roundel above. Relief roundels to west and
north walls represent the Stations of The Cross. To spandrels of north and south
arcades canopies containing statues. Aisle walls below windows have decorative
marble inlay and encaustic tiles. Clerestory: 3-light windows with intersecting
tracery in 2 layers, the outer glazed and the inner supported on freestanding
coloured marble shafts. Pointed barrel vault with painted scheme by Daniel
Bell. Chancel arch on dark marble shafts on stiff-leaf corbels. East end
arrangements raised to present level in 1920s. Diaperwork to walls set with
hexagonal mosaic panels by Salviati of Venice. Alabaster panelling above.
Shafted windows and dark marble shafts to rib vault. Sedilia and piscina.
Reredos by Earp. Stained glass designs by Henry Holiday. Crypt Chapel: groin
vaulted. Highly decorated with Perpendicular and Flamboyant tracery, original
fittings including screen and altar with tester.
Victorian Architecture : R Dixon and S Muthesius 1978, pp 211-212 and pl.202.
Listing NGR: TQ2573181947
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings