History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Former 'Stonyn' Door in Churchyard About 5 Metres South of Vestry, Church of St Margaret

A Grade II Listed Building in Tintinhull, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9745 / 50°58'28"N

Longitude: -2.7159 / 2°42'57"W

OS Eastings: 349831

OS Northings: 119702

OS Grid: ST498197

Mapcode National: GBR MK.LXC1

Mapcode Global: FRA 566J.MRQ

Entry Name: The Former 'Stonyn' Door in Churchyard About 5 Metres South of Vestry, Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Last Amended: 28 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1235408

English Heritage Legacy ID: 426091

Location: Tintinhull, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Tintinhull

Built-Up Area: Tintinhull

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Tintinhull

Listing Text

TINTINHULL CP ST. MARGARET'S ROAD (West side)
ST4919

13/379 The former 'stonyn' door in
churchyard, about 5 metres south
of vestry, Church of St. Margaret
(formerly listed as Monument W.
of Church)
19.4.61

GV II

Former doorway into churchyard. 1515 or 1518. Ham stone. Block of stone about 1.2m wide and 400mm thick, 2m tall, with
moulded open pediment top, below which is a band of carved medieval Latin script, translated as "Let us go into the
house of God rejoicing", and on the other "Truly this is a holy place". Below this may be traced the outline of a
segmental arched doorway. Erected by Prior Chard of Montacute, also vicar of Tintinhull, possibly when repairs were
made to the churchyard wall using stone from the ruins of Montacute Castle: it may have been his private gate to the
parsonage (now Tintinhull Court, q.v), now replaced by the C18 gateway in churchyard south wall (q.v); this is the
preserved lintol. (Oswald, A: Country Life, 12 April l956, article p736 et seq.).

Listing NGR: ST4983119702

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.