History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East Gateway and East Boundary Wall, Churchyard of St Margaret

A Grade II Listed Building in Tintinhull, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9745 / 50°58'28"N

Longitude: -2.715 / 2°42'53"W

OS Eastings: 349899

OS Northings: 119697

OS Grid: ST498196

Mapcode National: GBR MK.LXN3

Mapcode Global: FRA 566J.N40

Entry Name: East Gateway and East Boundary Wall, Churchyard of St Margaret

Listing Date: 19 April 1961

Last Amended: 14 May 2010

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1235514

English Heritage Legacy ID: 426251

Location: Tintinhull, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Tintinhull

Built-Up Area: Tintinhull

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Tintinhull

Listing Text

TINTINHULL

1526/6/389 ST MARGARETS ROAD
19-APR-1961 East Gateway and East Boundary Wall, C
hurchyard of St Margaret

(Formerly listed as:
EAST GATEWAY AND STOCKS IMMEDIATELY SO
UTH EAST AND EAST BOUNDARY WALL, CHURH
CYARD OF ST MARGARET)
(Formerly listed as:
ST MARGARETS ROAD
STOCKS IMMEDIATELY SOUTH EAST AND EAST
BOUNDARY WALL, CHURCHYARD OF ST MARGA
RET)

GV II
Gateway and east boundary wall to churchyard of St Margaret's. Probably C19; gateway re-modelled in 1901. Ham stone with wrought iron gates and overthrow.

The boundary wall stands about 2m high and is built of cut and squared stone with chamfered ashlar copings. There are no gate piers to the entrance which has a pair of gates with necked and collared joints to the middle and top rails, as well as scroll braces and under-decoration to the middle rail. Above is a panelled, scrolled wrought iron overthrow with a bracket for a light which holds a late-C20 lantern. A commemorative plaque is attached to the left (south) arm of the overthrow.

HISTORY: The overthrow was added in 1901 to commemorate one of the parishioners.

SOURCES: R. W. Dunning, Victoria County History: A History of the County of Somerset, vol. 3 (1974), pp 255-65
L Rosbottom, A Time-line History of the Church (1989)
http://www.tintinhull-localhistory.org.uk/rosbottom.html Accessed on 10th March 2010

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The gateway and east boundary wall of St Margaret's Churchyard is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural Interest: for the attractive ironwork of the overthrow and lantern holding
* Group Value: strong visual historic grouping with other listed structures including St Margaret's Church, a number of grave markers, and the north and east boundary walls to Tintinhull Court.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.