History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The School House, with Front Boundary Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Long Sutton, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0252 / 51°1'30"N

Longitude: -2.7589 / 2°45'31"W

OS Eastings: 346874

OS Northings: 125362

OS Grid: ST468253

Mapcode National: GBR MH.HQW1

Mapcode Global: FRA 563D.P0V

Entry Name: The School House, with Front Boundary Railings

Listing Date: 7 February 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236117

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263223

Location: Long Sutton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Long Sutton

Built-Up Area: Long Sutton (South Somerset) B

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Long Sutton

Listing Text

LONG SUTTON CP THE GREEN (West side)
ST4625
12/157 The School House, with front
boundary railings
-
GV II

Former school, now house. 1840, reshaped 1871. Local lias stone cut and squared, Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roof
between coped gables; brick end chimney stacks. Single storey with attic, 2 bays. Below, 3-light chamfered mullioned
windows under square labels; above, pairs of 2-light mullioned windows set under segmental arched heads in slightly
projecting gabled dormers, each on 3 corbel blocks, with slit gable vents over: between bays a part-glazed door in
plain opening having thin stone lintol. C20 extension to rear. Interior not seen. 3 metres (average) east of house the
boundary railings, about 1 metre high, cast iron with spear-head points, and pair of simple matching gates, which add
to setting of house. Erected as the village schoolroom in 1840, on the site of a former vicarage, it became the
master's house in 1871 when the present school (q.v) was erected opposite. (VCH vol III, 1974).


Listing NGR: ST4687425362

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.