This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8942 / 52°53'39"N
Longitude: -1.002 / 1°0'7"W
OS Eastings: 467234
OS Northings: 333439
OS Grid: SK672334
Mapcode National: GBR 9KV.KH4
Mapcode Global: WHFJC.LJ12
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 1 December 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1236253
English Heritage Legacy ID: 426869
Location: Owthorpe, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG12
Civil Parish: Owthorpe
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Owthorpe
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
OWTHORPE CHURCH LANE
SK63SE (east side)
4/125 Church of
Church. Re-built in 1705 using material from an earlier church on
the site. The south side and most of the tower is of dressed stone,
the rest of thinly coursed rubble with quoins. Hipped plain-tile
roof behind a plain parapet of 2 deep courses set between moulded
string courses. The parapet rises at the west end to meet the tower.
A simple rectangular nave plan with square west tower. Round-arched
west doorway with imposts and raised keystone above which are 2 angels
holding a shield. 2-light bell-chamber openings with square head and
round-arched lights. 2-light Gothic window to each side of the tower
with cusped Y-tracery. Two similar windows on south side. Two
reducing buttresses on the north side, and a later buttress on east
end. The 3-light east window is round-arched and transomed. One
of the quoins on the north-east corner is inscribed "C 1629 W".
Interior: a wooden screen of circa 1705 divides the nave from the
chancel: square panelled piers with capitals support the 5-bay arcade,
the centre arch is round the rest pointed and above is a heavy moulded
cornice. The screen is said to have come from Owthorpe Hall owned by
the Hutchinson family. The roof is supported by 3 large trusses which
have large tie-beams with slender King posts and 2 sets of diagonal
struts. Wind-bracing from principal rafters to purlins. Jacobean
oak panelled pulpit with extended back panel, tester with pendant
bosses and reading easel. Incorporated reading desk below re-using
early panelling. Contemporary alter rail with moulded base and rail,
turned balusters and a centre gate. C15 octagonal font with castellated
top and alternate shields of tracery and tree and foliage motifs. On
the north wall is a white marble monument with central slate to Colonel
John Hutchinson d.1664 and other members of the Hutchinson family.
It has a suit of armour at one side and a swag at the other. Also on
the north wall a white marble monument to Charles Hutchinson d.1695,
with an open segmental pediment on small Ionic columns. On the south
wall is a monument to Elizabeth Norton d.1713 with fluted Corinthian
pilasters supporting an open, scrolled pediment with central shield and
coat of arms.
N Pevsner. The Buildings of England,1979.
Listing NGR: SK6723433439
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings