History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Guildhall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Andover, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2078 / 51°12'28"N

Longitude: -1.4793 / 1°28'45"W

OS Eastings: 436471

OS Northings: 145528

OS Grid: SU364455

Mapcode National: GBR 72R.BS7

Mapcode Global: VHC2S.9WTZ

Entry Name: Guildhall

Listing Date: 24 February 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236337

English Heritage Legacy ID: 139514

Location: Andover, Test Valley, Hampshire, SP10

County: Hampshire

District: Test Valley

Civil Parish: Andover

Built-Up Area: Andover

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Andover St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Andover

Listing Text


SU 3645 NW ANDOVER HIGH STREET
4/56 Guildhall
24.2.50
II*
Formerly Town Hall, 1825. A successor to a guildhall of 1725 to 1825, of similar
form. A Greek Doric stone building, almost a cube, with 4 symmetrical elevations, a
typical English Renaissance design, of a tall room above an open arcaded ground floor
(now enclosed). The front (south) is of 1.3.1 bays. Blocking course above a Doric
cornice, with omutile boxes, continuous frieze (without triglyphs) and continuous
guttee below a tenia, plain architrave (with circular decorations above the columns);
the central pediment encloses a circular opening containing a clock; 4 fluted Doric
columns (3/4 attached) stand on the projected centrepiece, the wings terminating in
parallel-sided pilasters. With a continuous base moulding. First floor band
(continued into keystones), rusticated ground floor of 4 bands above an impost band
then 5 bands above a (granite) plinth. Sashes in reveals to the upper floor,
half-glazed filling of later date to the ground floor openings. The north elevation
has a plainer upper part and fanlights within the arcade but the centre 3 bays of the
ground floor project forward, with a pediment and central entrance. The side
elevations (east and west) are the same, of 5 bays, having a regular pilaster
treatment to the upper floor. Low-pitched hipped slate roof (unseen). Within the
north side entrance leads to a lobby, with staircases on each side leading upwards
through an apse with 2 niches to an upper lobby from which a single flight reaches the
upper hall. [There was once a central clock tower].


Listing NGR: SU3647045523

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.