This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5279 / 51°31'40"N
Longitude: 0.7889 / 0°47'19"E
OS Eastings: 593550
OS Northings: 184684
OS Grid: TQ935846
Mapcode National: GBR RR4.28K
Mapcode Global: VHKHN.MVDL
Entry Name: A and B the Terrace, Horseshoe Barracks
Listing Date: 28 April 1986
Last Amended: 17 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1236487
English Heritage Legacy ID: 122960
Location: Southend-on-Sea, SS3
Electoral Ward/Division: Shoeburyness
Built-Up Area: Southend-on-Sea
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: South Shoebury St Andrew with St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ 98 SW SOUTHEND ON SEA WARRIOR SQUARE
(north side), Shoebury Garrison
5/725 A and B The Terrace, Horseshoe Barracks
Surgeon's quarters (Block B) at British School of Gunnery, instructor's quarter added. 1861-2, altered c1870. Yellow stock brick with rubbed brick flat arches, brick ridge, right-hand gable and left-hand lateral stacks and slate roof. PLAN: double-depth plan with rear service blocks. EXTERIOR: 2-storey; 6-bay range. Pair of 3-window houses with plat band and coped gables on corbelled kneelers, left-hand cross gable has a canted 3-window bay with parapet; rubbed brick segmental-arched windows with 6/6-pane sashes to the middle of each ground floor and the bay, timber tripartite 4/4-pane ground-floor and 2/2-pane first-floor sashes, and plate-glass central first-floor sashes.
Returns have flat-arched porches to the rear with flat-headed doorways with overlights and half-glazed doors. Rear has projecting single-storey service blocks. INTERIOR: has a central axial passage, stairs with turned balusters and uncut string, stone fireplaces with pilasters, and 4-panel doors. HISTORY: the RA School opened in 1859. Contains architectural distinctions reflecting the rank of the occupant. (PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon: RA Barracks and Old Ranges: Warrior Square Officers' Quarters: 1860-: CTR 357-358; Glennie D: Gunners Town: History of Shoeburyness: Civic Publications: 1948-).
Listing NGR: TQ9355084684
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings