This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5278 / 51°31'39"N
Longitude: 0.7902 / 0°47'24"E
OS Eastings: 593641
OS Northings: 184673
OS Grid: TQ936846
Mapcode National: GBR RR4.2MK
Mapcode Global: VHKHN.NV3P
Entry Name: F and G the Terrace, Horseshoe Barracks
Listing Date: 28 April 1986
Last Amended: 17 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1236488
English Heritage Legacy ID: 122962
Location: Southend-on-Sea, SS3
Electoral Ward/Division: Shoeburyness
Built-Up Area: Southend-on-Sea
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: South Shoebury St Andrew with St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ 98 SW SOUTHEND ON SEA WARRIOR SQUARE
(north side), Shoebury Garrison
5/727 F and G The Terrace, Horseshoe Barracks
Pair of semi-detached officers' houses at British School of Gunnery. 1861-2. Yellow stock brick with rubbed brick heads, brick central ridge and end gable stacks, and slate roof. Double-depth plan. EXTERIOR: each 2 storeys and attic; 4-window range. Symmetrical front has coped gables with kneelers set forward one bay from the ends, first-floor brick string and cill courses, and moulded brick eaves cornice. End entrance bays set back have segmental-arched doorways with plate-glass overlights and 4-panel doors; segmental-arched 2/2-pane sashes, with keys on the ground floor, mid C20 casements to the inner ground-floor windows of G house, and two pairs of gabled dormers with plate-glass sashes connected by a parapet; gables have canted, parapeted bays and first-floor tripartite windows with plate-glass sashes, and flat-headed attic 2/2-pane sashes. Returns have gables to the rear, and a gabled dormer toward the front. Rear has single-storey service blocks. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORY: the RA School opened in 1859. Contains architectural distinctions reflecting the rank of the occupant. (PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon: RA Barracks and Old Ranges: 1860-: CTR 357-358; Glennie D: Gunners Town: History of Shoeburyness: Civic Publications: 1948-).
Listing NGR: TQ9364184673
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings