This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0192 / 51°1'9"N
Longitude: -2.8494 / 2°50'57"W
OS Eastings: 340516
OS Northings: 124769
OS Grid: ST405247
Mapcode National: GBR MC.J5XZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 46XF.9PZ
Entry Name: Church of St Catherine
Listing Date: 17 April 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1236512
English Heritage Legacy ID: 264336
Location: Drayton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Drayton
Built-Up Area: Drayton (South Somerset)
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST4024 DRAYTON CP CHURCH STREET (North side)
7/16 Church of St. Catherine
Anglican parish church. C15, restored 1855 by Maurice Davis of Langport and 1896. Coursed and squared lias rubble,
Hamstone dressings, slate and lead-sheeting roofs, coped verges, finials. Perpendicular. Nave, chancel, north aisle,
north vestry, south porch, west tower. Two stage tower, small diagonal buttresses to bottom stage, embattled parapet,
stair-turret, gargoyles, openwork iron spirelet with weathercock, 2-light bell-chamber windows with stone quatrefoil
grilles, embattled parapet, stair-turret, gargoyles, openwork iron spirelet with scrolly iron ties, 3-light west
window, pointed-arch west doorway, moulded surround, plank door with iron strap hinges. Four bay nave, 3-light windows,
slender buttresses; gabled porch with a moulded outer doorway, simple chamfered inner doorway, carved heads as label
stops, plank door with scrolly iron hinges. Embattled 4-bay north aisle, 3-light Perpendicular windows except west
window which has reticulated tracery under a depressed-arch head, c1350, buttresses ashlar stack. Simple late C19
vestry, chancel with 2-light windows, deep 4- light traceried window to east end, Priest's door to the south. Interior
plastered on flagstone floors. Unceiled wagon roof to nave, (C17?), lean-to roof to aisle incorporating early work,
ceiled wagon roof to chancel. Panelled chancel arch, in its imposts 2 niches facing each other. Moulded tower arch.
Four bay arcade to aisle, piers of 4-hollows section. Norman tub font. Piscina. Aumbrey to aisle. Pair of coffin stools
dated 1739. Jacobean altar table. C18 wrought-iron parclose screen. C19 pine pews, and carved wooden pulpit. Early C20
work including tower screen; choir stalls and readers by Martin Travers. C18 strong box. C18 wall monument, 2 principal
C19 wall monuments. Four mid/late C19 stained glass windows, 2 fine C20 windows.
Listing NGR: ST4051624770
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings