This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5038 / 51°30'13"N
Longitude: -0.1391 / 0°8'20"W
OS Eastings: 529255
OS Northings: 179961
OS Grid: TQ292799
Mapcode National: GBR DH.Y3
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.JGTJ
Entry Name: Lancaster House
Listing Date: 5 February 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1236546
English Heritage Legacy ID: 427576
Location: Westminster, London, SW1A
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Martin-in-the-Fields
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2979 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER STABLE YARD SW1
Town mansion. c. 1820. First design by Sir Robert Smirke for the Duke of York,
superseded by Benjamin Dean Wyatt who with Philip Wyatt presented new designs
1825-27, completed for the 2nd Duke of Sutherland (as Stafford House) 1833-38
with added attic storey and Smirke as executant architect ; finally the
staircase lantern and decoration by Charles Barry 1838. Bath stone, slate roof.
Free standing, grand classical mansion dressed with giant Corinthian porticoes
to north, south and Green Park fronts, built round vast top lit stair compartment.
2 main storeys, basement and attic storey. 9-window wide north and south fronts
with 5-bay portico centrepiece and one bay end pavilions. 9-window east front
with end pavilions and 3-bay centrepiece and 11-window Green Park front with 5-bay
portico centrepiece. Rusticated arcaded porte cochere to north surmounted by
pedimented portico, similar arcaded ground floors to south and west engaged
porticoes. Architraved sash windows, with cornices and pediments to piano
nobile. Continuous entablature below attic storey which is pilastered on centre-
pieces and end pavilions and has crowning entablature with balustraded parapet.
Balustraded area parapet with fine ornamental cast iron lampstandards surmounting
dies. Very grand interior, the marble lined,vast, rectangular stair compartment with
central flight dividing in two and returned to 1st floor at right angles,with
sumptuous, very heavy cast iron balustrade; the gallery colonnaded to east and
west sides and 2 large copies of Veronese ornamenting the other 2 sides; deep
coved ceiling carrying lantern with black "bronze" caryatids between the lights.
The state rooms have rich white and gold decoration on red and green walls,
doorcases, mouldings etc,in Wyatt's lavish Baroque-Rococo inspired by Versailles
(c.f. Wyatt's Apsley House and Belvoir Castle interiors);of particular note the
great tripartite gallery, incorporating a Guercino in the ceiling and in the north
anteroom a Veronese, etc.
"The Architects of Stafford House"; Howard Colvin; Architectural History i, 1958;
"Stafford House Revisited', John Cornforth; Country Life, 7-14 Nov. 1968
Listing NGR: TQ2925379958
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings