History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Abbot's House, Muchelney Abbey

A Grade I Listed Building in Muchelney, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.0202 / 51°1'12"N

Longitude: -2.8162 / 2°48'58"W

OS Eastings: 342849

OS Northings: 124847

OS Grid: ST428248

Mapcode National: GBR MF.J2C2

Mapcode Global: FRA 46ZF.4PK

Entry Name: The Abbot's House, Muchelney Abbey

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236790

English Heritage Legacy ID: 263283

Location: Muchelney, South Somerset, Somerset, TA10

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Muchelney

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

8/221 The Abbot's House, Muchelney Abbey


Abbot's Lodgings of Benedictine Abbey, latter demolished, incorporating fragments of south cloister walk and west wall
of refectory. C14/15. Local lias stone with Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roofs, mostly with stepped coped gables;
stone chimney stacks. Complex plan, representing south west corner of the abbey buildings. Two and 3 storeys, north
elevation has 6 bays of former south cloister walk; C15 pointed arches, blocked but with some fragments of window
tracery; 2-storey height bay buttresses; to upper level bays 1, 3 and 4 are 2-light flat- headed traceried windows; to
west a recessed portion with blocked door and window, then north of Abbot's Lodging, containing guest room; moulded
plinth, chamfered segmental pointed arch, bay 1, with fragment of west cloister over; C20 windows lower bays 2 and 3;
upper bay 3 has 2-light flat headed C16 window with square label. West elevation of two gables with lean-to: north
gable has plain rectangular window with iron bars below, and to first floor a 4-light C16 flat headed window with
label, and in gable a small single-light window to match, under label, now blocked; south gable has a blocked C13
2-light window at head; below a lean-to, and on return of north gable a garderobe. South elevation of 6 bays, of which
bays 1 to 3 are of several dates; bays 4 to 6 are c1500: low buttresses either side of bays 1 and 2, with rectangular
chamfered 2-light windows at mezzanine level both bays, with chamfered pointed segmental arched doorway lower bay 2;
bay 3 has C16 2-light windows both levels, with labels: remaining bays represent a reshaped gable, with moulded plinth,
angled corner and bay buttresses, string courses, and battlemented parapet screening former coped gable over bays 5 and
6, with ornamental stone chimney between bays 4 and 5; 2-light traceried windows with cinquefoil cusped heads to ogee
lights, flanked by quatrefoil tracery, the upper, to abbot's parlour, having traceried transomes; bay 4 although in
same style, suggests an afterthought. East elevation has a 2-bay return, with 4-centre arches below, one panelled, both
now blocked; then the south wall of cloister walk, with 3 bays of 5-light blind tracery, with traceried transomes, and
eaves course over. Interior well preserved; entrance on south leads into original kitchen, and then to north the guest
room, with oak beam ceiling and stone fireplace with cornice and spice cupboard; good flight stone stairs, leading to
abbot's parlour, which has beamed ceiling, stone fireplace with panelled jambs, 4 quatrefoil panels to deep lintol,
under deep carved cornice, and above blank panel crowned with 2 recumbent lions; on south wall fine wood settle with
linenfold panelling, with some early C16 glass fragments in windows over; several upper chambers, including some over
south cloister walk, which retains fragments of vaulting and tracery. Good timber truss roof, of early braced collar
truss form, but in fact incorporating double raised crucks. Originally established in late C7, it was destroyed, then
refounded c950, rebuilt c1100 and again in late C15. It was a very large establishment for never more than 20 monks,
who in 1335 were charged with living too well! After dissolution the Abbot's lodging became a farmhouse, passing into
guardianship in 1927, being now in the care of the Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission for England. Scheduled
Ancient Monument (Somerset County No. 4l). VCH, vol III, 1974; D of E Guidebook; Wood M, The English Medieval House,
1965; Pantin W A, Medieval Priest's Houses in south west England, Medieval Archeology, 1957).

Listing NGR: ST4284424842

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.