History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter Ad Vincula

A Grade II* Listed Building in Colemore and Priors Dean, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0719 / 51°4'18"N

Longitude: -0.9937 / 0°59'37"W

OS Eastings: 470600

OS Northings: 130763

OS Grid: SU706307

Mapcode National: GBR B8Y.MMG

Mapcode Global: FRA 86T9.0P7

Entry Name: Church of St Peter Ad Vincula

Listing Date: 16 March 1954

Last Amended: 11 July 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1237037

English Heritage Legacy ID: 143133

Location: Colemore and Priors Dean, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Colemore and Priors Dean

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: East Tisted with Colemore St James

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
East Tisted

Listing Text

COLEMORE & PRIORS DEAN COLEMORE
SU 73 SW
4/1 Church of St Peter ad
Vincula (formerly
listed as 'Church of
16.3.54 St Peter')
GV II*
Parish church. c11, C12, C17, restorations of 1874 and 1975. Flint and rubble
stone walls, almost entirely covered in cement render, stone buttresses (1612 and
1874): windows mainly Victorian cusped lancets, but a small Norman window in the
Transept, a small late C12 lancet and a larger C13 lancet, with west window being
coupled lancets beneath a quatrefoil, triple lancets at the east end. Plain roof,
hipped above the transept, with a higher ridge above the end, ending with a bell
turret (1866) with a broach spire. Single cell church, with a north transept (and
Norman arch), south porch (1874), the east end having been refaced in 1874, and the
west end raised to form a belfry in 1612 (rebuilt 1866). Plain interior: piscinas
to chapel and transept, which has a small slype, remains of a rood stair, easter
sepulchre (restored), C15 wood screen, C17 nave roof, anda Purbeck C12 font (a
panelled square on drum and corner columns). There are wall monuments of 1692,
1748 and 1814, floor slabs, a floor brass of 1718, and 2 old bells (of 1380 and
1627) hung in the nave.


Listing NGR: SU7066030801

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.