History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Priors Dean Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Colemore and Priors Dean, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0611 / 51°3'40"N

Longitude: -0.9628 / 0°57'45"W

OS Eastings: 472783

OS Northings: 129601

OS Grid: SU727296

Mapcode National: GBR CBH.HD4

Mapcode Global: FRA 86W9.SWV

Entry Name: Priors Dean Church

Listing Date: 16 March 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1237077

English Heritage Legacy ID: 143137

Location: Colemore and Priors Dean, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU32

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Colemore and Priors Dean

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Hawkley St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Hawkley

Listing Text

COLEMORE & PRIORS DEAN PRIORS DEAN
SU 72 NW
9/3 Priors Dean Church
16.3.54
II*
GV
Parish church, without dedication. C11, C13, Restoration of 1856. Aisleless
Romanesque building, of possible Saxon origin, with north porch and western bell
turret. Cemented walls, 2 flat and 1 stepped buttresses at the south side, Norman
north door, slender Victorian/Norman windows, with one original lancet and a small
blocked Norman window on the south wall of the chancel. Tiled roof, hipped at the
west, with a stepped bell turret (1856), having a small broach spire. Tiled roof
to open porch, with a timber frame on stone walls. Interior: plain walls with deep
reveals, a 'Norman' chancel arch (1856) with couple ½-columns (with cushion caps);
at the west end the 4 massive timber piers (medieval) which support the bell turret
(1856). The chief feature of the church is the series of monuments in the chancel,
including (1) a wall monument with a Corinthian frame enclosing 2 oval recesses
containing the portrait busts of John Compton and his wife Jane (died 1653 and
1634), (2) a similar wall monument with Ionic pilasters and marble portrait bust of
Compton Tichborne (1637), (3) a wall monument with Corinthian flame enclosing a
kneeling female figure (and 2 small children) to N Stoughton and Bridge Compton
(1631), (4) a classical monument with a kneeling female figure, of Eliz Tichborne
(1622) and (5) a monumental brass on a floor stone, of John Compton and Jane
Michelborne (died 1606 and 1586). There is a 'Norman' font of 1856, and a chair of
1657.


Listing NGR: SU7255030025

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.