History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walled Garden at the Walled Garden

A Grade II Listed Building in Sherfield on Loddon, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3107 / 51°18'38"N

Longitude: -1.0215 / 1°1'17"W

OS Eastings: 468298

OS Northings: 157300

OS Grid: SU682573

Mapcode National: GBR B60.LLK

Mapcode Global: VHDXK.7BT1

Entry Name: Walled Garden at the Walled Garden

Listing Date: 2 April 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1237083

English Heritage Legacy ID: 139290

Location: Sherfield on Loddon, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG27

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Civil Parish: Sherfield on Loddon

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Sherfield-on-Loddon St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Sherfield upon Loddon

Listing Text

SHERFIELD ON LODDON WILDMOOR LANE
SU 65 NE (south side)

6/81 Walled garden at The
Walled Garden

GV II

Walled garden. Mid C19, of 2 builds; altered c.1900. Red brick part in rat-
trap bond, otherwise in irregular bonds; stone dressings. Near-trapezoidal in
plan, the north wall curved at east end. The wall is approximately 3 metres
high with pilaster buttresses, flat coping, and square piers to corners with
pyramidal finials. The south wall was the 1st to be built (to screen former
stables from house), in rat trap bond, approximately 2 metres high; the other
sides of the wall were built c.1860, and the whole heightened c.1900. The south
wall has 2 entrances with decorative iron gates, the western one having square
piers with pyramid-and-ball finials, the eastern one having square piers and
segmental arch with alternate brick and stone voussoirs, dropped keystones, and
ramped coping above. North wall has entrance towards east end with wall ramping
down to it from west; vents at top for formerly-adjoining glasshouses. West
wall has board door below flat brick arch. East wall has gap cut at north end.
Listed as forming part of the original environs of the conservatory and vine
houses (qv).


Listing NGR: SU6777356882

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.