History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Maltings Approximately 10 Metres South West of the Old Farmhouse, Style Place

A Grade II Listed Building in Hadlow, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2165 / 51°12'59"N

Longitude: 0.3554 / 0°21'19"E

OS Eastings: 564600

OS Northings: 149004

OS Grid: TQ646490

Mapcode National: GBR NQ8.LP9

Mapcode Global: VHJMJ.3PR9

Entry Name: Maltings Approximately 10 Metres South West of the Old Farmhouse, Style Place

Listing Date: 19 February 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1237143

English Heritage Legacy ID: 179496

Location: Hadlow, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN11

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling

Civil Parish: Hadlow

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Hadlow

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Hadlow

Listing Text

HADLOW COURT LANE
TQ 64 NW
6/60 Maltings approx 10m south west
- of The Old Farmhouse, Style
Place

GV II

Disused maltings and brewery. Late C19, built for the Simmons brewery.
Flemish bond brick on ragstone foundations, parts (particularly the
distribution sheds) use decorative polychrome brickwork; slate roof to the
maltings and brewery, peg-tile roof to the distribution sheds.

Plan: The maltings and brewery is built on a south east - north west axis.
It is the main core of the brewery although it once extended short distances
further each end. The demolished south eastern end was probably a loading
shed since there is evidence of loading hatches and hoists in the existing end
wall. A wing of distribution sheds projects at right angles to rear of the
right end.

The brewery/maltings is 2 storeys with storage bins in the attics and barrel
cellar in the basement. The distribution sheds are mostly 2 storeys.

Exterior: The south west facing long side has regular but not symmetrical
fenestration. 7 ground floor windows with segmental arch heads and 4 first
floor windows, all original horizontal sliding 8-pane sashes. Left of centre
are loading hatch doorways to both floors. The ground floor one onto a
loading platform and the first floor one has a cast iron girder for a hoist.
Another first floor loading hatch near the right end. The roof is gable.
ended. End walls include parts of former internal brick crosswalls and are
otherwise clad with corrugated iron. Rear has similar fenestration to the
front.

The distribution sheds are more ornamental. Originally there were 3 under
parallel roofs but the outer (north eastern) shed was demolished after a fire.
They face north westwards. Each gabled bay contains a large doorway (both
rebuilt in the C20). 4 first floor windows with segmental arch heads. The
right shed windows are louvred, the left shed (formerly in the centre) are
blind. Bullseye window in right gable and round clock face in left gable.
Both gables have ornamental bargeboards shaped like a Vitruvian scroll and
with timber finials and pendants. Rear elevation uses polychrome brick and
all the first floor windows here are louvred.

Interior: The basement has ragstone walls, paved floor including drainage
channels and brick vaulted ceiling supported on cast iron columns. Rest of
the building has plain heavy scantling carpentry. The ground floor is 8-bays
with massive crossbeams, each propped by 2 iron columns. First floor ceiling
beams are the roof truss tie-beams. The tie-beams of the south eastern 4 bays
are carried on massive axial beams. These and the other tie-beams are
supported on iron columns. Roof of tie-beam and queen post construction. The
trusses divide the attic space into storage bins and a couple are still lined
with matchwood planks.

The maltings and brewery is the largest building on the site which includes
other ancillary buildings and the Old Farmhouse, Style Place (q.v.).

According to the owners researches, Style Place Brewery was run by the Simmons
and Martin partnership between 1852-1902. An inventory of 1863 gives details
of the brewery equipment, lists 13 public houses in the area owned by the
brewery and the farms concerned were Style Place and Boormans Farm.


Listing NGR: TQ6469948957

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.