History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cases

A Grade II Listed Building in Greatham, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0658 / 51°3'57"N

Longitude: -0.9005 / 0°54'1"W

OS Eastings: 477136

OS Northings: 130186

OS Grid: SU771301

Mapcode National: GBR CBL.14Z

Mapcode Global: FRA 9609.DZH

Entry Name: Cases

Listing Date: 16 March 1954

Last Amended: 11 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1237254

English Heritage Legacy ID: 143185

Location: Greatham, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU33

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Greatham

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Greatham St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Hawkley

Listing Text

GREATHAM SELBORNE ROAD
SU 73 SE
5/12 Cases (formerly listed
as 'Cases House')
16.3.54
II
House. C17, early and late C18, early C19i and early C20. Three sections of
walling; red brickwork in Flemish bond, with cambered openings and plinth above an
ironstone base: ironstone with galletted joints and brick quoins (showing altered
openings): tile-hung 1st floor above brickwork, with a plinth. Tile roof, hipped
from a lower ridge at the south side. The south-east front,has a symmetrical late
C18 main part, of 2 storeys, 3 windows, with brick walls, sashes (triple at the
sides) and a doorcase with an open pediment on thin pilasters, enclosing an arched
entrance with radiating fanlight and 6-panelled door, above stone steps. To the
south-west there are the remains of the earlier unit, of 2 storeys, 1 window, with
ironstone walls, sashes in reveals, and beyond it an outshot of similar form, with
a casement. The rear walls are of ironstone, except for a narrow projecting wing
(c.1900) and there is a C20 flat-roofed ground floor addition on its north side.
Interior: there are signs that the building started as a lobby-entrance house
(there is a massive fireplace and a C17 floor beam), which was refaced in ironstone,
given a taller front in a further renovation. This last phase has a staircase,
shelves in recesses, and a fireplace with Regency features.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.