This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2236 / 51°13'24"N
Longitude: 0.338 / 0°20'16"E
OS Eastings: 563360
OS Northings: 149750
OS Grid: TQ633497
Mapcode National: GBR NQ7.88Y
Mapcode Global: VHHQ1.TH2V
Entry Name: North Lodge
Listing Date: 20 October 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237277
English Heritage Legacy ID: 179519
Location: Hadlow, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN11
District: Tonbridge and Malling
Civil Parish: Hadlow
Built-Up Area: Hadlow
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Hadlow
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
HADLOW HIGH STREET (south side)
TQ 63 49
7/83 North Lodge
Former lodge to Hadlow Castle (q.v.). Circa 1820, probably by George Ledwell
Taylor who designed Hadlow Castle (q.v.), with mid C19 and C20 alterations.
Cement-clad brick; brick stack and chimneyshaft, the one visible from the
street is cement-clad and ornamental; slate roof.
Plan: Former lodge set back from the High Street. Along with the companion
South Lodge (q.v.) it flanks the ornamental gateway to Hadlow Castle (q.v.).
In fact it backs onto the street and faces south east. It has a 2-room plan
and 2-room plan wing projecting forward from the right (north east) end.
Second room is C20 and first room is probably a C19 extension. The left room
(nearest the gateway) has an axial stack backing onto the right room. C20
entrance porch in angle of the 2 wings.
The original part is the main block and maybe the original lodge was the one
room next to the gateway.
Exterior: Distinct Gothick style, the same as Hadlow Castle. Main block
garden front is hidden behind C20 porch extension. The service wing has C20
casements. The street side and end wall are ornamental and Gothick. The
right (south western) room projects towards the street. It has narrow
panelled angle buttresses with weathered offsets. They rise as corner finials
but the tops have broken off. Both sides have a stepped crenellated parapet
and contain a central projecting bay with diagonal buttresses, embattled
parapet and recessed Tudor arch containing a window. The end window contains
-tracery and C20 replacement diamond panes of leaded glass. Tall lancets
either side contain similar glass. Above the bay a shield-shaped plaque. The
street side is similar but here the window tracery has been removed and the
lancets are blind. To left 2 lancet windows with glazing bars with buttress
between and angle buttresses on left corner. Crenellated parapet hides low
pitch roof. Original chimneyshaft is tall narrow and octagonal with lattice
pattern around the shaft, moulded cornice and embattled top.
Interior: Not inspected.
By circa 1900 this lodge was smaller than its companion South Lodge (q.v.) and
local people remember it as the gardener's cottage.
Listing NGR: TQ6336049750
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings