This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.057 / 52°3'25"N
Longitude: 1.1541 / 1°9'14"E
OS Eastings: 616328
OS Northings: 244538
OS Grid: TM163445
Mapcode National: GBR TMW.4KK
Mapcode Global: VHLBS.YKGH
Entry Name: 16, Buttermarket
Listing Date: 9 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237347
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428469
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1
District Council Ward: Alexandra
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Mary-le-Tower
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1. TM 1644NW BUTTERMARKET
1/490 NO. 16
2. Former hotel, with ground floor shop, now offices and recently first floor
restaurant. 1894 by Henry J. Wright for E.W. Hodge. Red brick with red sandstone
dressings. Roof not visible. 4 storeys 2 and 3 bays. Embattled parapet. Gable
end internal stacks with recessed panels to rectangular shaft, and wide oversailing
cap. Pilaster shafts to each end of facade from first floor upwards; moulded stone
bases, square plan with terracotta lion's head at mid first floor level, above which
are polygonal; central chamfered shaft to 2nd and 3rd storeys. Moulded bands at
storey level and to cornice continue across the shafts. The bands form frieze at
1st and 2nd storeys, that to upper level has repeated foliate design in terracotta.
Ground floor late C20 shop front with former hotel doorway to right. First floor
in 3 bays, defined by arch above each window, the central bay being wider and with
lion's head keystone to arch, forming base of central chamfered shaft. Central oriel
windows of 1:2:1 semicircular headed lights, the central section mullioned and transomed.
Stained glass to upper lights, pilasters with moulded bases and finials between the
bays. Embattled parapet, similar mullion and transomed window to left and right, also
with stained glass and beneath moulded terracotta spandrels. 2nd and 3rd storeys
similar except that the 2nd floor is stone dressed, the 3rd floor using moulded brick.
2 bays. A pair of 3 light windows beneath shallow 4-centre-arched heads with moulded
keystones and stops to label. 3 semicircular headed lights to each, that to centre
taller. Iron bracket at first floor level formerly supported street lighting.
Listing NGR: TM1632844538
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings