History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wesleyan Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Ipswich, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0576 / 52°3'27"N

Longitude: 1.15 / 1°8'59"E

OS Eastings: 616046

OS Northings: 244600

OS Grid: TM160446

Mapcode National: GBR TMP.X4Y

Mapcode Global: VHLBS.WJ9Z

Entry Name: Wesleyan Methodist Church

Listing Date: 6 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1237359

English Heritage Legacy ID: 428595

Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1

County: Suffolk

District: Ipswich

Town: Ipswich

District Council Ward: Alexandra

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Mary at the Elms

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Whitton

Listing Text

1260 MUSEUM STREET
(west side)
TM 1644 NW 1/130A Wesleyan Methodist Church

GV II

Wesleyan Methodist Church. 1860. Designed by Frederick J Barnes, in the Gothic Revival style. Kentish rag stone with ashlar dressings facade with brick rear. Slate roof with moulded coped gables and finials. Chamfered plinth. Street facade has gabled west end incorporating porch and side wings. Central triple pointed arch loggia, with moulded arches supported on quatrefoil pillars and matching responds. Corner clasping buttresses with gabled tops. Above a single 4-light, pointed arch window with elaborate geometrical tracery and a chamfered cill band. Above again a small circular window with trefoil tracery. Eitherside are single staircases rising outwards and with triple arched stepped arcades supported on small pillars. Beyond are slightly projecting gabled side wings with pointed arch doorways in moulded surrounds and 6 panel doors with trefoil fan-lights. Above small triple pointed arch arcades, then a chamfered band and a gable containing a blind trefoil, and surmounted by a cross finial.
Interior reputedly modernised c1960. Included for group value only.


Listing NGR: TM1604644600

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.