This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.056 / 52°3'21"N
Longitude: 1.158 / 1°9'28"E
OS Eastings: 616604
OS Northings: 244447
OS Grid: TM166444
Mapcode National: GBR TMW.5KX
Mapcode Global: VHLBT.1L16
Entry Name: United Reformed Church
Listing Date: 17 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237414
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428670
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4
Electoral Ward/Division: Alexandra
Built-Up Area: Ipswich
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Mary-le-Tower
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
THE FOLLOWING ITEM SHALL BE ADDED:
1. TACKET STREET
1260 (north side)
TM 1644 SE 4/361A United Reformed Church
Former Congregational Church, now United Reformed Church. 1857, designed by
Frederick J. Barnes, built by John Wight, in the Gothic Revival style.
Kentish rag stone with ashlar dressings, slate roofs with coped gables,
kneelers and finials. Chamfered plinth, angle buttresses with set-offs. Nave
and short chancel, with large south porch. South elevation has to the west a
2 storey gabled porch with attached octagonal stair towers, for spires that
were never built. Central pointed archway flanked by narrower pointed
archways, all with moulded arches and pillar responds, plus above flush gables
with finials, and blind tracery. Central inner moulded and pointed arch
doorway. Above a moulded band which continues around the stair towers, then a
circular window with a moulded surround and elaborate symmetrical tracery.
The flanking stair towers each have a pointed arch doorway with plain flush
gable, and above 3 pointed lancets with tracery, and they are stopped by a
moulded coped parapet. To the east, the nave facade has 3 very tall 2-light
lancets with tracery each divided at gallery level by a pair of stone panels
with blind tracery. The east gable wall has a single pointed arch 5-light
window with tracery. INTERIOR has thin iron columned arcade, which supports
the wooden gallery and then continues upward to support the roof. Ornately
carved wooden roof. C19 wooden pulpit, pews, organ and other fittings.
Listing NGR: TM1660444447
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings