This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1749 / 51°10'29"N
Longitude: -3.0619 / 3°3'42"W
OS Eastings: 325864
OS Northings: 142271
OS Grid: ST258422
Mapcode National: GBR M3.663M
Mapcode Global: VH7D8.WQ5Q
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 24 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237423
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268929
Location: Otterhampton, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA5
Civil Parish: Otterhampton
Built-Up Area: Combwich
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST24SE OTTERHAMPTON CP CHURCH HILL (East side)
4/78 Church of St Peter
Church. 1870 by J Knowles for Susanna Lewes Jeffery. Coursed and squared blue lias rubble, red sandstone banding,
prominent buttresses, tile roofs with fish-tail banding, coped verges with finials. Free Decorated style with Early
English featuresi nave with a spired south belfry porch, north and south transepts, apsidal chancel. Three bay nave,
single bay transepts and chancel; 2 and 3-light windows, west window with intersecting tracery; lancets to chancel.
Elaborate porch with octagonal upper stage, each face with a gabled lantern at its base, ribbed stone spire, clock,
stair turret to west side; broad pointed-arch door opening with 2 pairs of detached shafts, foliate caps; paired
wrought-iron gates. Lofty plastered interior on tile floors dominated by arch-braced roofs springing from foliated
corbels; reredos with 7 foiled gables, a detached shaft with foliate caps between each, pierced by a lancet to centre
and each side; plain chancel arch. Virtually complete C19 fittings including pews, choir stalls, altar rails, tub font
and oil lamps on brackets; elaborate semi-circular stone pulpit with detached Purbeck shafts. Stained glass to West
window and chancel. Brass plaque commemorating the dedication of the church to the West end. (Pevsner N, Buildings of
England South and West Somerset, l958).
Listing NGR: ST2586442271
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings