This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1365 / 51°8'11"N
Longitude: -3.0171 / 3°1'1"W
OS Eastings: 328933
OS Northings: 137958
OS Grid: ST289379
Mapcode National: GBR M4.8RFQ
Mapcode Global: VH7DH.NPBN
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 29 March 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237571
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268938
Location: Wembdon, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA6
Civil Parish: Wembdon
Built-Up Area: Bridgwater
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST23NE WEMBDON CP CHURCH ROAD (North side)
8/88 Church of St George
Parish church. C14, C15, substantially rebuilt excluding tower 1868 by J M Hay, some minor C20 external alterations.
Local red sandstone rubble, freestone dressings, double Roman tile roof with 2 small flat-roofed dormers above the
chancel arch with leaded lights, coped verges with some cruciform finials, pyramidal tile roof to vestry. Early
features all Perpendicular, restoration in Decorated style. Nave, chancel, North and South aisles, South porch,
virtually detached heated South vestry, North chancel chapel now occupied by the organ, West tower. Simple embattled
tower with angle buttresses, 2-light bell-chamber windows, 3-light West window, West door, Five bay nave, 3-light
windows in shafted surrounds; single bay chancel with a large 4-light South window, 3-light East window. North aisle
arcade with circular piers; that to South aisle with hexagonal piers. Plain chamfered chancel arch of 2 orders, above
it a painted text; tower arch of 2 orders, head supported on corbels. Nave with a simple tie-beam roof, lean-to roofs
to aisles, vaulted plaster ceiling to chancel; tower with a C15 ring chamber floor. Interior refurbished C19 including
pews and pulpit, encaustic tiles to chancel, reredos with mosaic panels, glazed tiles to walls, Restored C15 octagonal
font; piscina to vestry believed to be re-used font of c950. Much stained glass, particularly the East window of 1890,
and West window of 1903. C18 tablet under tower, further C19 tablet. Restored Jacobean communion table to South aisle;
also a life-sized painting of The Crucifiction by Guido Reni, 1575-1672. (Church Guide, Rev C Rayner-Smith, 1960;
Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST2893337958
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings