This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.896 / 52°53'45"N
Longitude: -1.8011 / 1°48'3"W
OS Eastings: 413477
OS Northings: 333194
OS Grid: SK134331
Mapcode National: GBR 4B5.FGH
Mapcode Global: WHCFQ.9GLP
Entry Name: Brocksford Hall and Attached Stable Block
Listing Date: 19 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1237732
English Heritage Legacy ID: 414999
Location: Doveridge, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Doveridge
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Doveridge St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 13 SW PARISH OF DOVERIDGE DERBY ROAD
2/10 (South Side)
Brocksford Hall and attached
Small country house, now school. 1893 for Mr C W Jervis Smith by Douglas and
Fordham of Chester, in a Jacobean style. Brick, faced with Ruabon wire-cut bricks.
Blue brick diaper work and mottled red and white Hollington stone dressings. Plain
tile roof with dark brindled tiles. Stone coped gables with moulded kneelers and
ball finials. Six tall brick stacks. Brick tower to south east with pyramid
roof, containing the water tank. Elevations symmetrical in massing but not in
detail. Seven bay north elevation with five gables. Mullioned and transomed windows
with ovolo moulded mullions. Off-centre two storey porch has Tudor-arched doorway,
plank double doors and single light windows with transom on each side. Canted
oriel above of 1-3-1 lights, with angle finials and sunk panel with coat of arms
above. To the right a 4-light mullioned and transomed window with 4-light mullion
window above with decorative cresting. To right again a large paired staircase
window of 2 plus 2 lights with two transoms. Similar details to left of porch with
one, two, three and four light windows and a smaller secondary staircase window.
Low, flat-roofed, single storey bay is a slightly later addition. Six bay south
elevation with symmetrical arrangement of three gables. Advanced centre bay has
a 4-light mullioned and transomed window with 3-light window above. To the left
are two 3-light mullioned and transomed windows with two 3-light windows above.
Advanced gabled bay to left again has a broad two storey canted bay window of 2-3-2
lights to each floor, the lower ones with transom. Small 2-light window in the
gable. To the right of the centre bay a doorway with later half-timbered porch and
3-light mullioned and transomed window. 4-light window above. Advanced bay to right
again almost matches the corresponding bay to left, with canted bay, but with a
4-light window in the gable and a slit window above. Water tower set back to
right. In the angle a single storey bay with curious stepped parapet Brick and
timber framed stable block attached to north east corner forming an L-range.
Carriage entrance with timber framed upper floor with a 3-light window to west.
Pedimented bell turret with ogee-capped louvred lantern and weather vane above.
The interior of the house has a re-used mid-C18 staircase around an open well. Two
turned balusters per tread, curved tread ends and ramped and wreathed handrail.
Raised and fielded panelled dado. The drawing room has re-used mid C18 panelling,
doorcase with lugged architrave with egg and dart motif and carved overdoor with
modillion cornice. Elaborate chimney piece with Rococo overmantel enclosing a
circular painting. The upper landing has fluted columns and keyed segmental arches.
Re-used C18 chimney piece. The entrance hall has possibly re-used Jacobean
panelling and a re-used plaster frieze. The re-used material came from Fenton Hall
in Staffordshire. source: Building News Vol. 64, 1893 p.867.
Listing NGR: SK1347733194
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings