This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2933 / 51°17'36"N
Longitude: 0.5117 / 0°30'42"E
OS Eastings: 575221
OS Northings: 157907
OS Grid: TQ752579
Mapcode National: GBR PQT.XWJ
Mapcode Global: VHJM6.TRDD
Entry Name: Allington Castle
Listing Date: 30 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1239149
English Heritage Legacy ID: 173269
Location: Maidstone, Kent, ME16
Electoral Ward/Division: Allington
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TQ 75 NE 9/168 30.7.5l.
The 1st castle on the site was a moated mound built by William de Warenne.
In the C12 further building took place to the north of this, but this castle
was 'overthrown' in 1174, and a small manor house built on the site. Portions
of both these constructions were incorporated in the subsequent Castle. The
present building was erected by Stephen de Penchester, or Penshurst, between
1279 and 1299 and continued by his son-in-law and successor Sir Henry de Cobham
in the early C14. It was altered by Sir Henry Wyatt after 1492. It was forfeited
to the Crown in 1554 at Sir Thomas Wyatt's rebellion. It subsequently became
2 farm houses and eventually fell into ruins, from which is was rescued by
Lord Conway who, with his architect W D Caroe, thoroughly restored the Castle
between 1905 and 1929. It is a square fortified country house consisting of
buildings ranged round the inside of the courtyard with a curtain wall connecting
them and semi-circular towers facing the moat which connects with the Medway.
In the south-west corner is Soloman's Tower of 4 storeys, which is larger than
the other towers. In the north-west corner is the Gatehouse with restored
machicolation and battlements, and iron-studded mediaeval double doors, approached
by a barbican and stone bridge over the moat. The lower portions of the Gatehouse
date from the C12 manor house. The wing which divides the courtyard in half
was built by Sir Henry Wyatt and contained a long gallery, which was probably
one of the first long galleries in England to be constructed. This was later
destroyed but was restored by Lord Conway. Sir Henry Wyatt added the timber-frame
buildings in the south-east corner of the Castle which were the kitchen and
offices. Them are of 2 storeys and attic, the ground and first floors being
of stone with 2 timbered gables above, rendered and overhanging on bressumers
with moulded bargeboards and pendants and 1 gabled dormer. Casement windows
with small square leaded panes. Sir Henry Wyatt also altered most of the windows
of the Castle. His son Sir Thomas Wyatt, the poet, was born here in 1503.
The latter's son, Sir Thomas Wyatt, also lived here till his insurrection in
1554. Henry VII visited the Castle in Sir Henry Wyatt's time; Henry VIII in
1527, 1530 and 1536; also Cardinal Wolsey in 1527 and Catherine Parr in 1544.
All the listed buildings at Allington Castle form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ7522157907
Other nearby listed buildings