This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4644 / 51°27'51"N
Longitude: -0.3215 / 0°19'17"W
OS Eastings: 516693
OS Northings: 175276
OS Grid: TQ166752
Mapcode National: GBR 75.FM3
Mapcode Global: VHGR2.CGW6
Entry Name: Gordon House maria Grey Training College
Listing Date: 21 May 1973
Last Amended: 3 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1240076
English Heritage Legacy ID: 438178
Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, TW1
District: Richmond upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: St Margarets and North Twickenham
Built-Up Area: Richmond upon Thames
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: All Souls St Margaret-on-Thames
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 1675 ISLEWORTH ST MARGARET'S ROAD
32/352 Gordon House (Maria
Grey Training College)
Probably circa 1720, altered circa 1865. 2 storeys stock brick with lavish read rubbed brick
dressings. 5 windows, sashes, no glazing bars. Central Corinthian columned painted stone
staircase with round-headed window over in elaborate stone surround. Stone cornice over. Full
height rusticated pilasters with capitals to outer corners of front. Parapet. Slates. C19 chimneys.
2-storey 2 window extension to right, probably C18. Further extension to right 2-storey large
canted brick bay, balustrade parapet. Probably late C18. Nearly matching extensions repeated
to left of main front, probably C19. River Front - circa 1720. 2 storeys, yellow brick with red
dressings. 5 sashes, no glazing bars. Stone cills on brackets. Central 1st floor round-headed
window with key block and coved cornice on consoles going right across. Rusticated pilasters
at angles with capitals and bases. Panelled parapet. C19 pediment over C19 lower extensions
to right. C19 brick porch. 2-storey stock brick part to left, added in 1758 by Robert Adam. 3
sashes. Architrave surrounds and pediments on consoles. No glazing bars. Greek key band.
Upper part C19. C19 chimneys. Slate roof. 6 bay extension to right, round-headed window on
ground floor. Segmental arch to windows over. Cornice. Heavy oak dentilled cornice to ceiling
of upper floor.
Interior - main block ground floor. Front part of house, former entrance hall, now divided up into
passage and rooms, remains only of original panelling and ceiling cornice. Staircase hall,
overlooking river, with very handsome original oak staircase on grand scale on 2 walls, rising to
a broad landing round the other two. 2 balusters to each tread, cut strings with panelled ends and
panelled soffit. Opening out of staircase hall on river front South West end is the present
conference room, designed by Robert Adam as a drawing room for General Bland in 1758. It is
probably Robert Adam's earliest surviving work in England and of the finest quality. Long
rectangular room surmounted by modillioned cornice from which springs a ceiling with boldly
coved sides all elaborately decorated with scroll work and oval panels. Plain oval centre except
for central rose. Greek key pattern to border moulding of ceiling. Very fine chimney piece, now
painted over. Fine consoles supporting blocks with lion masks. Central frieze with floral swags;
centre block with military trophy. Carved wood doorcases consisting of bold quarter round
mouldings. The Ionic columned and pedimented doorcases in the Adam drawing do not exist; nor
does the upper tier of the chimney piece. No dado; modern skirting.
The house dates from about 1720 and was altered in 1758 by General Bland to the designs of
Robert Adam. See drawings reproduced in "Robert Adam and his circle" by John Fleming, 1962,
and others in Sir John Soane's Museum. Formerly called Seaton House. It was later purchased
by William IV for his daughter, Lady Augusta FitzClarence, wife of Hon John Kennedy Erskine.
She subsequently married Lord John Frederick Gordon. It was subsequently owned by T.C.
Haliburton (1796-1865) - author of "Sam Slick". (See Dictionary of National Biography) and
was bought by the then Lord Kilmorey in 1865 who carried out extensive alterations. Used as
a school for the daughters of naval officers, when the chapel was built.
In garden on bank of River Thames. Modern training college buildings nearby.
Listing NGR: TQ1669375276
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings