This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0073 / 51°0'26"N
Longitude: -2.2052 / 2°12'18"W
OS Eastings: 385697
OS Northings: 123121
OS Grid: ST856231
Mapcode National: GBR 1XH.M9V
Mapcode Global: FRA 668G.2PL
Entry Name: 1-5 the Bartons
Listing Date: 15 October 1973
Last Amended: 13 December 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1240136
English Heritage Legacy ID: 438249
Location: Shaftesbury, North Dorset, Dorset, SP7
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Shaftesbury
Built-Up Area: Shaftesbury
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Shaftesbury and Enmore Green St James
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
A row of attached cottages dating from the C18 and C19, with later alterations.
MATERIALS: built of Greensand rubble and incorporating some ashlar and brick; painted or rendered to the front (south-east) elevation, under plain tile roofs. A number of houses have brick dressings and all have brick stacks; that to Nos. 4 and 5 have been rebuilt.
PLAN: an accretional linear plan, with steps leading up from Church Hill to the front of the cottages. All are of two storeys, with a cellar to No. 1. The attached No. 6 The Bartons is not of interest.
EXTERIOR: The roadside gabled end of No. 1 has a C19 door and a C20 single-light window to the cellar level. It has a mid-C19 front of three bays with a central entrance that has a half-glazed door. The window to the left of the doorway is a C20 casement, that to the right is also C20 but set within the original segmental-headed opening. To the first floor are sashes without glazing bars with segmental heads. Nos. 2-4 project forward and are each of two bays. They have a painted brick front with a single window and a door to the ground floor of each cottage. The ridge to the roof which is hipped at right-hand end is higher than that to No.1. An historic photograph shows that Nos. 2-4 originally had sash windows; these have been replaced with timber casements. No. 5 projects further forward and appears to be C18. It is constructed of coursed ashlar to the ground floor and lime-washed brick above, which may indicate that it was formerly a single-storey building. There are small two-light casements to either side of the entrance which has a modern door and a hood over. There are two matching windows at first floor. Early-C21 lean-to addition to the rear.
INTERIOR: No. 5 was inspected internally. It has a large open fireplace with timber lintel that may have been rebuilt, and an axial ceiling beam.
Nos. 1-5 The Bartons are situated in Enmore Green, a semi-rural settlement on the outskirts of Shaftesbury, which historically was the source of the town’s water supply. The cottages date from the C18 and C19 and are grouped together in a row. On the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1887 nine buildings are depicted in the row; situated towards the eastern end, the seventh building was demolished sometime between 1887 and 1901. Most of the cottages have undergone some alteration in the latter part of the C20 and early C21.
Nos. 1-5 The Bartons, a row of cottages, are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architecture: an interesting row unified with architectural detailing such as segmental heads to the openings and mouldings to the stacks; they represent a good example of the local vernacular tradition;
* Intactness: the replacement of some windows does not detract from the historic elements of these cottages which retain much of their original character and fabric.
Other nearby listed buildings