This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5346 / 53°32'4"N
Longitude: 0.0341 / 0°2'2"E
OS Eastings: 534912
OS Northings: 406144
OS Grid: TA349061
Mapcode National: GBR XWPK.5N
Mapcode Global: WHHJ1.HFG4
Entry Name: Haile Sand Fort
Listing Date: 1 March 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1240990
English Heritage Legacy ID: 195375
Location: Humber estuary, Tetney, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, DN36
County: North East Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Humberston
Built-Up Area: Cleethorpes
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Tetney St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK 30 NW HAILE SAND FORT
Off-shore Fort. 1915-18 with later alterations and additions.
Reinforced concrete and Brick, clad with riveted steel armour plating.
Timber and steel jetty. Circular on plan with hexagonal base and
balcony at sea level, plain railings to balcony and jetty. three
floors with added floor in brick to south-west, with basement and
magazine below sea level, and central two storey observation tower.
Rows of windows to lower and middle floors, each with pairs of tinged
steel shutters. The middle floor has a group of three projecting
turrets to the north-east, the central one concrete supported on a
cylindrical shaft with a row of shuttered windows beneath a flat roof,
the flanking turrets have conical bases and roofs and full width
shuttered openings. The roof of the Fort carries a central cylindrical
ventilation shaft; a rectangular flat-roofed armour-clad look-out
tower with shuttered windows, single projecting square observation
turret to north-east, a roof balcony, mast and radio ariels. To the
southwest an added brick storey with seven windows with glazing bars,
and a pair of steel chimneys, and to the northeast a pair of gun
emplacements. Haile Sand Fort, with its larger companion Fort on Bull
Sand (Humberside) 3.75 kilometres to the north-east, guarded the
approaches to the Humber with gun batteries and anti-submarine net of
steel mesh stretched between them across the mouth of the estuary (now
removed). Haile Sand Fort had full amenities for a garrison.
Armaments, besides the usual small and rapid-fire weapons, consisted
of two six inch guns. A reputed 40,000 tons of concrete and steel
went into their construction, at a cost of £1,500,000. Both forts
were constantly manned during both world wars, and were often under
attack from aircraft and submarine. The army left in 1956, but the
Forts were still manned until the early 1960's, when both were sold
to the Humber Conservancy Board. SOURCE. Cleethorpes Borough
Council, Report Activities Department, information sheet 05/3, Ships
and Vessels of the Humber 1985
Listing NGR: TA3491206144
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.