This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2385 / 51°14'18"N
Longitude: -0.2058 / 0°12'20"W
OS Eastings: 525350
OS Northings: 150343
OS Grid: TQ253503
Mapcode National: GBR JJ0.8SN
Mapcode Global: VHGS9.D42D
Entry Name: The Tunnel
Listing Date: 27 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1241366
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289475
Location: Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, RH2
District: Reigate and Banstead
Town: Reigate and Banstead
Electoral Ward/Division: Reigate Central
Built-Up Area: Reigate
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Reigate
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 2550 SW
12/287 The Tunnel
Road tunnel. Dated 1823. By William Chambers. Gault brick in Flemish bond to
entrances; Redbrick in stretcher bond to tunnel. south entrance: tall round
archway with two stages of blind, 5-bay, round-arched arcading over the lower
stage with datestone to centre; flanking buttresses with ashlar offsets at each
stage; embattled parapet with pitched ashlar coping. North entrance similar,
but because it is at the higher end of the sloping tunnel the archway is shorter
and above it is only one stage of arcading; no parapet, but red-brick coping.
Tunnel: a blind segmental-arched arcade to each side with doorways to former
chambers (mostly blocked); barrel vault.
Chambers was Surveyor to Lord Sommers, through whose grounds this tunnel was
Listing NGR: TQ2535050343
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings