This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5616 / 51°33'41"N
Longitude: -1.7964 / 1°47'47"W
OS Eastings: 414210
OS Northings: 184769
OS Grid: SU142847
Mapcode National: GBR YP1.H3
Mapcode Global: VHB3L.T05P
Entry Name: Number 9 Shop
Listing Date: 29 March 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1241674
English Heritage Legacy ID: 318840
Location: Swindon, SN2
Electoral Ward/Division: Mannington and Western
Built-Up Area: Swindon
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Swindon St Augustine
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
The following building shall be added:
SWINDON RODBOURNE ROAD
SU 1484 NW
BREL: Swindon Works
5/177 No 9 Shop
(former J Shop)
A very long range with a masonry built facade of an arcaded ground floor of
red brick headed arches and ashlar dressed jambs and windows with paired
windows above. The rear elevation is brick built with brick dressed windows.
The western two thirds were built in 1873 as a foundry and was extended
eastwards with similar detailing first c1890 and again in 1922. The range
presents a 32 bay facade to the main line railway with a twin gabled six bay
return to the east end and a corrugated sheet return to the west end. The
rear elevation is partly obscured by modern additions of 1965. The first 20
bays from the west represent the original build and reputedly the alternate
ground floor bays were blind pierced by windows c 1924, the remaining 12 bays
are late 19th and early 20th century. The west elevation was rebuilt in 1965.
The effort taken with the facade to match the extensions with the original
builds indicated that this was always.regarded as a prestige building in
relation to the main line railway consists of two tall single storey aisles
separated in the original part by a rank of two tier cast-iron columns and in
the later sections by rivetted steel composite columns at a much greater bay
interval. The building was visited by King George V and Queen Mary in 1924
when a welcome message was cast in their presence. This survives on site.
Source: A Peck The Great Western at Swindon Works (OPC 1983)
Listing NGR: SU1421084769
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings