This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1565 / 53°9'23"N
Longitude: -1.4719 / 1°28'18"W
OS Eastings: 435412
OS Northings: 362278
OS Grid: SK354622
Mapcode National: GBR 6B5.0QL
Mapcode Global: WHDFN.CXBK
Entry Name: Fallgate Mill
Listing Date: 30 August 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1241794
English Heritage Legacy ID: 393467
Location: Ashover, North East Derbyshire, Derbyshire, S45
District: North East Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Ashover
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Ashover All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK3562 HOCKLEY LANE
1264-0/12/58 (West side (off))
Water-powered corn mill. Dated 1781, but with earlier work
incorporated within the present structure. Restored 1987-8.
Coursed rubble and ashlar gritstone, together with rubble
carboniferous limestone, with quoins. Stone slate and pantile
roof coverings, the latter with stone slated eaves.
Single-storey range to the east, of brick with a stone slated
roof. An irregular L-shaped grouping of buildings, the main
range running east to west, with an advanced range at right
angles to the main range, at the east end. The brick range is
also slightly advanced. South elevation has central range of
three storeys and three bays, with an off-centre doorway with
massive surround and lintel, the latter inscribed 'E T S
1781'. Small single opening above doorway, and to the west a
wider opening, both with plain planked doors and deep lintels.
To the west, the brick outbuilding with a single central
opening with planked shutter, and a small 4-pane light above.
Gable to advanced range to east with a blocked ground-floor
opening, a glazed first floor taking-in opening, and a small
single lancet light to the gable apex. West elevation faces
onto wheelpit, and is of coursed rubble. 2 rectangular
openings to wall centre, one in the gable apex, the other
below it, and a tall narrow opening to the south side. Set
into the wheelpit a restored overshot wheel with metal
sideplates and timber buckets. A metal pentrough delivers
water to the wheel head. The interior and the machinery have
been fully restored.
Listing NGR: SK3541262278
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings