History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Martin

A Grade II* Listed Building in Marple North, Stockport

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4009 / 53°24'3"N

Longitude: -2.0564 / 2°3'22"W

OS Eastings: 396349

OS Northings: 389345

OS Grid: SJ963893

Mapcode National: GBR GY23.LL

Mapcode Global: WHB9Y.DS04

Entry Name: Church of St Martin

Listing Date: 11 October 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1241823

English Heritage Legacy ID: 441062

Location: Stockport, SK6

County: Stockport

Metropolitan District Ward: Marple North

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Low Marple St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Marple

Listing Text

SJ 98 NE MARPLE BRABYNS BROW
(north-west
side)
Marple Bridge
7/53 Church of
- St. Martin

G.V. II


Church. 1869-70 by J.D. Sedding, for Maria Anne Hudson.
North chapel 1895-6 and aisle 1909 both by H. Wilson.
Snecked stone with ashlar dressings and clay tile roof;
timber-framed porch. Nave, chancel, porch, aisle and aisle
chapel. 3-bay nave with projecting plinth, heavy weathered
buttresses and a gabled timber-framed porch in bay 1.
Windows are of 2 lights with geometric tracery, 2 of which
are paired in bay 2. Coped gables and bellcote. 2-bay
chancel with 5-light east window. Interior: nave arcade
arches die into bold square columns. Wagon roof to nave,
arch-braced trusses to chancel. Chapel apse has vault with
trees and birds in relief. Inlaid altar table and communion
rail (Wilson). Reredos (C. Whall). Statue of St. Christopher
in a niche with marble surround. North windows by H. Bryams,
chancel windows by Morris, others by C. Whall. Plaster
relief of angels by Sedding. Art nouveau font cover with
pierced metal sphere on an inlaid and carved lid. Generally
an unpretentious exterior with a remarkably progressive
interior.


Listing NGR: SJ9634989345

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.