This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5147 / 51°30'53"N
Longitude: -0.0212 / 0°1'16"W
OS Eastings: 537406
OS Northings: 181391
OS Grid: TQ374813
Mapcode National: GBR K4.CB9
Mapcode Global: VHGR1.L654
Entry Name: Church of St Saviours
Listing Date: 12 December 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1242275
English Heritage Legacy ID: 206505
Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E14
District: Tower Hamlets
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansbury
Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: All Saints Poplar
Church of England Diocese: London
NORTHUMBRIA STREET E14
Church of St Saviours
Church. 1873-4 by Frederick J and Horace Francis.
Flemish bond brown brick with red brick bands and alternate voussoirs to arches; Portland stone windows, bellcote, copings and offsets to buttresses; gabled slate roofs. Chancel with south chapel and aisled nave with western narthex. Middle pointed style. Chancel has five-light east window with trefoiled lights and cusped circles to tracery, and double-gabled roof to north vestry which has hoodmoulds over two-light windows and pointed-arched doorway. South chapel has offset buttresses and hoodmoulds over four-light east window (similar to chancel east window), two-light south windows and pointed-arched west doorway and round west window with circular tracery. Nave has bellcote with stone spirelet and five-bay lean-tos to aisles with offset buttresses and hoodmoulds over three-light windows; hoodmoulds over quatrefoil clerestory windows; five-light west window with reticulated tracery above lean-to narthex with linked hoodmould over lancet windows and pointed-arched south and north doorways.
Interior executed in similar polychromatic brickwork; chancel has two-bay north and south arcades with pointed chamfered arches set on circular piers with richly-carved foliate capitals and carved foliate corbels to pointed-arched braced roof. Hoodmould with head corbels over tall chancel arch with richly-carved foliate capitals to engaged shafts. Nave has five-bay arcades with hoodmoulds with carved stops over chamfered pointed arches over circular piers with moulded capitals; carved corbels to similar pointed-arched roof. Stained glass east window of c.1880 by Heaton, Butler and Bayne.
A good example of a town church design, embodying the separation of elements in the Puginian tradition.
Listing NGR: TQ3740681391
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings