History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Georges Town Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Shadwell, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5109 / 51°30'39"N

Longitude: -0.0584 / 0°3'30"W

OS Eastings: 534832

OS Northings: 180898

OS Grid: TQ348808

Mapcode National: GBR J9.FY6

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.X9Z2

Entry Name: St Georges Town Hall

Listing Date: 11 April 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1242346

English Heritage Legacy ID: 206511

Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E1

County: London

District: Tower Hamlets

Electoral Ward/Division: Shadwell

Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St George-in-the-East

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Bethnal Green

Listing Text

The following shall be added:

CABLE STREET
TQ 3480 (south side)

22/892 St Georges Town Hall

GV II

Vestry hall. 1860, by A Wilson. Built of brick with Portland stone facade;
slate roof; brick stacks. Double-depth plan. Italianate style. 2 storeys;
8-window range. Plate-glass sashes to all windows. Porch, to third bay from
right, has banded Doric columns to triglyphed frieze and keyed semi-circular
arched doorway with overlight; steps flanked by iron railings to similar doorway
on left. Rusticated ground floor, with square-headed windows, is articulated by
pilasters continued to Ionic columns which separate first-floor bays and support
a dentilled cornice which has letters ERECTED AD 1860 to frieze; cartouches set
in keyed semi-circular arches over first-floor windows each with Corinthian
columns to cornice and blind balustrade to apron. Cast-iron railings to front.
Interior: vestibule has Doric pilasters to dentilled cornice; cast-iron balus-
trade to imperial staircase. First-floor doors have brackets to cornice over
moulded wood architraves; vestry room to front has panelled dado, Ionic pilas-
ters to dentilled cornice, coffered ceiling and decorative iron balustrade to
public gallery.


Listing NGR: TQ3483280898

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.