This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.057 / 52°3'25"N
Longitude: -2.7133 / 2°42'47"W
OS Eastings: 351187
OS Northings: 240083
OS Grid: SO511400
Mapcode National: GBR FL.DFLK
Mapcode Global: VH85N.XKFH
Entry Name: Former Soup Kitchen to Rear of Number 49 Commercial Street
Listing Date: 16 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1242628
English Heritage Legacy ID: 442114
Location: Hereford, County of Herefordshire, HR1
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Hereford
Built-Up Area: Hereford
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: St Peter with St Owen and St James, Hereford
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 5140 SW HEREFORD UNION PASSAGE (South West side)
683-1/8/10000 Former Soup Kitchen to rear of No.49 Commercial Street
Fonner soup kitchen, now commercial premises. 1872. By Thomas Nicholson for the Hereford Society for Aiding the Industrious. Red brick with part slate, part glazed, roof Single storey. Gable end to Union Passage has 2 round-arched doorways and large window between. Roof has long raised louvre at apex with glazing to roof pitch. INTERIOR. One large space, the doors once serving as the entrance and exit for dispensing the soup. Boarded roof is supported on collar trusses with curved braces rising from moulded stone corbels and criss-cross bracing supporting the upper collar. HISTORY. Nicholson built and restored many churches as well as schools, mainly in Herefordshire and Radnorshire. He was Hereford Diocesan Architect and also acted as architect and adviser to the Hereford Society for Aiding the Industrious during the 1860's and 70's. It was during this time that he was asked to design a purpose-built soup kitchen at the rear of the Society offices in Nos.49/50 Commercial Street (qv). He was asked to draw up plans 'on the most approved principles with a room in which the poor may partake of the soup'. During the summer it was used as a temperance refreshment room. This is a rare survival of such an institution. (O'Donnell], 'John Venn and the Hereford Sociey for Aiding the Industrious'; Trans. Woolhope Naturalists Fld. Club XLVI (1990), pp.498-516)
Listing NGR: SO5118740083
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings