This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4968 / 51°29'48"N
Longitude: -0.1685 / 0°10'6"W
OS Eastings: 527233
OS Northings: 179129
OS Grid: TQ272791
Mapcode National: GBR 6K.CM
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.1M8X
Entry Name: Former Jewellers' Shop (James Hardy and Co)
Listing Date: 22 March 2011
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1242948
English Heritage Legacy ID: 510004
Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW3
District: Kensington and Chelsea
Electoral Ward/Division: Brompton & Hans Town
Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Holy Trinity with St Paul, Onslow Sq and St Augustine, Sth Kensington
Church of England Diocese: London
249/0/10326 BROMPTON ROAD
Former Jewellers' shop (James Hardy and
Jewellers' shop. Built 1886-7 as part of a block of flats with a parade of ground-floor shops. Built by Alexander Thorn, completed by Matthews Brothers & Co. The shop front dates from c1900-1905, or a little thereafter.
This listing relates to the ground-floor shop unit only, and not the residential premises above (No. 67 Egerton Gardens).
EXTERIOR: the outer components of the shop front: pink granite pilasters with stylised Ionic capitals carved with figures, date from 1886-7. The shop front itself dates from the Edwardian period. It is double fronted with a central recessed lobby, low black granite stallrisers and a timber fascia with carved lettering reading 'Goldsmiths JAS. Hardy & Co. Silversmiths'. The shop front has a mahogany frame with curved plate-glass display windows to either side of the lobby, each with a slender mullion with carved base and top. The transom lights have elaborate Art Nouveau curvilinear glazing bars with bevelled glass, continuing as an arched fanlight across the lobby. The soffit above the lobby, which has original mirror glass and a metal lantern, and the fanlight above the door, are similarly detailed. The glazed door has scrolled decoration, an asymmetrical curving lower panel, and original brass door furniture. The lobby floor has coloured mosaic tiles with Art Nouveau motifs and 'Diamond Merchants' in black lettering.
INTERIOR: the display windows are enclosed by the original glazed mahogany timber doors. The glass shelves carried on decorative steel brackets are probably later insertions. The shop interior is altered, but retains decorative plasterwork to the ceiling. The internal display cabinets are modern, and not of special interest. The rear room has a plaster cornice and vertical sliding window shutters.
HISTORY: the shop was originally the premises of the London branch of James Hardy & Co, an established Edinburgh and Aberdeen jewellers. In 1897 William Cooper purchased the business and its premises at 235 Brompton Road where he, and subsequent owners until 2010, continued to trade under the title of James Hardy & Co.
Survey of London, Vol 41: Brompton, (1983) 121-2
Directory of Gold & Silversmiths, Jewellers & Allied Traders 1838-1914 Vol I, (1987) 210
Morrison, K, English Shops and Shopping, (2003)
REASON FOR DESIGNATION:
No. 235 Brompton Road, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest and rarity: an elaborate, high-quality Art Nouveau style shop front retaining most of its original components
* Interior: while altered, some original features of note survive, including the doors to the display windows and decorative plasterwork to the ceiling
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings