History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Black Friar Cafe

A Grade II Listed Building in Ripon, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1353 / 54°8'6"N

Longitude: -1.5219 / 1°31'18"W

OS Eastings: 431333

OS Northings: 471151

OS Grid: SE313711

Mapcode National: GBR KNTM.9C

Mapcode Global: WHC7V.LBH5

Entry Name: The Black Friar Cafe

Listing Date: 27 May 1949

Last Amended: 19 March 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1243260

English Heritage Legacy ID: 330104

Location: Ripon, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate

Civil Parish: Ripon

Built-Up Area: Ripon

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Ripon Cathedral Parish with Littlethorpe

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Ripon

Listing Text

SE 3171 RIPON KIRKGATE
1/11 (north side)
27.5.49
No 27
GV (The Black Friar Cafe)
(formerly listed as
Black Friar Cafe)

II

Mid-C15. Timber-framed. Stucco. Two storeys. Formerly 2 houses, although probably
nearly contemporary. West part has one bay: sliding sash with glazing bars on first
floor and mid C19 shopfront with panelled pilasters, roundels and moulded cornice.
East part has 2 bays, the eastern one with carriage entrance retaining the seating for
the hinge pin of one of the gates still in position in south-west corner, and pegs
from another seating in the south-east corner. Above the entrance 2 arch braces from
the bressummer to the principal posts are exposed: one tiny window. The other bay has
a sliding sash with glazing bars on first floor, and a sash on the ground tioor.

Two fine roof trusses (clearly numbered 2 and 3) still survive in the eastern part:
cambered tie beams, crown posts and braces from the head of the crown post to the
outer ends of the tie beam (rather similar to the exposed framing over the carriage
entrance). The western part originally had a jettied first floor (bracket for the
jetty surviving as it is cut in one with a surviving post); but the front was
subsequently extended a few feet, evidently before 1797 when it was illustrated in
J M W Turner's drawing of Kirkgate (British Museum), though without its present mid
C19 detailing.

History. Built as a gatehouse, presumably to the palace of the Archbishops of York,
which almost certainly occupied the area just to the north.


Listing NGR: SE3133371151

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.