History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Oast House, 50 Metres North East of Dagworth Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Old Newton with Dagworth, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2141 / 52°12'50"N

Longitude: 0.9873 / 0°59'14"E

OS Eastings: 604180

OS Northings: 261529

OS Grid: TM041615

Mapcode National: GBR SJD.4G1

Mapcode Global: VHKDH.2M90

Entry Name: Oast House, 50 Metres North East of Dagworth Hall

Listing Date: 25 January 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244383

English Heritage Legacy ID: 280721

Location: Old Newton with Dagworth, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Old Newton with Dagworth

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Old Newton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Old Newton

Listing Text

The following building shall be added to the list:-

OLD NEWTON DAGWORTH
TM 06 SW WITH DAGWORTH

Oast house,
4/10000 50m north-east
of Dagworth Hall

GV II

Oast house, now disused. Dated 1846, for Thomas Woodward, tenant
farmer. Plastered and tarred clay lump on a tarred flint and
brick footing; semi-circular plan at both ends. Slated roof,
hipped over the ends. 2 storeys. Projecting on the west side is
a weatherboarded lean-to loft, open on the ground floor where it
is supported by posts and raking struts. Various slatted
ventilation openings. To west, 2 boarded entrance doors and a
first floor loading door. C20 garage doors towards north end.
Interior: Circular kilns at each end now removed, resulting in
alterations to upper floor and roof, and the removal of 2 cross
partitions. Adjacent to each kiln the upper floor is trimmed for
a stair and a sack-trap. One floorbeam bears a timber plaque with
carved inscription 'In 1846 This Building on This Ground Was
Fixt'. A rare, possibly unique, building type in Suffolk,
associated with a locally important hop-growing area.


Listing NGR: TM0418061529

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.