History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 17 and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Holborn and Covent Garden, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5203 / 51°31'12"N

Longitude: -0.116 / 0°6'57"W

OS Eastings: 530812

OS Northings: 181831

OS Grid: TQ308818

Mapcode National: GBR L9.36

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.Y11W

Entry Name: Number 17 and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 24 October 1951

Last Amended: 11 January 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244575

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476658

Location: Camden, London, WC1R

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: Holborn and Covent Garden

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Bloomsbury Way St George

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text


CAMDEN

TQ3081NE BEDFORD ROW
798-1/101/1813 (East side)
24/10/51 No.17
and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
BEDFORD ROW
Nos.1-9 AND 11-17 (Consecutive))

GV II

Terraced house, now offices. Built 1717-18 by Robert Burford,
carpenter, on land granted to him and George Devall, plumber,
by Dame Margaret Skipwith in 1716. Brown brick, roof not seen
behind parapet.
3 windows wide, 4 storeys, attic and basement. 2 rooms deep
with closet wing. Brick band at first floor level. Gauged red
brick arches to flush frame sash windows. Wood architraved
doorcase with good carved brackets, panelled soffits to flat
hoods, patterned fanlight and panelled door.
INTERIOR: panelled entrance and staircase hall. Corinthian
pilaster forming inner arch. Early C19 stair rises to second
floor, with stick balusters and continuous handrail; it
retains early C18 dado panelling with Corinthian pilaster
strips up to first floor. Third floor reached by closed string
stair with turned balusters. Ground floor opened as a single
room, with early C19 Tuscan columns. Second floor front rooms
retain ovolo-moulded panelling and box cornices.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: cast-iron railings with finials.

Listing NGR: TQ3081281831

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.