History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Side Walls and Curbs to Cromford Canal Basin and Feeder Channel

A Grade II Listed Building in Cromford, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1096 / 53°6'34"N

Longitude: -1.5535 / 1°33'12"W

OS Eastings: 429988

OS Northings: 357030

OS Grid: SK299570

Mapcode National: GBR 599.41C

Mapcode Global: WHCDW.33JF

Entry Name: Side Walls and Curbs to Cromford Canal Basin and Feeder Channel

Listing Date: 8 May 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1244632

English Heritage Legacy ID: 449886

Location: Cromford, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

Civil Parish: Cromford

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Cromford St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Cromford

Listing Text

SK 2857/2957 CROMFORD MILL ROAD
668-0/2/10005 Side walls and curbs to
Cromford Canal Basin and
feeder channel

GV II

Canal sidewalls and curbs. c1820, For the Cromford Canal Company engineer William Jessop; the c1820 feeder channel proposed by Benjamin Outram. Gritstone. The basin is lined on its north side by approximately 200 metres of stone edging with various iron rings set into the curbs. The basin funnels into a narrow dock adjacent to the northern warehouse (qv). The edging continues around central wharf and lines a southern limb of the canal adjacent to the southern warehouse (qv). This channel turns to the south to follow the line of Mill Road - it receives water from Cromford Mill via a culvert thus feeding the canal basin. The feeder channel was added when a piped feed from the Mill proved inadequate. The arch in the feeder channel sidewall (close to the gritstone post) bears the date 1821. The roadside channel is protected by a wooden handrail partly fixed on early C19 cast-iron posts and terminating at the shaped gritstone post which bears the date 182_.


Listing NGR: SK2998857029

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.