This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8821 / 50°52'55"N
Longitude: -1.0256 / 1°1'31"W
OS Eastings: 468646
OS Northings: 109627
OS Grid: SU686096
Mapcode National: GBR BC6.RHK
Mapcode Global: FRA 86RR.SCC
Entry Name: St Michaels Convent
Listing Date: 2 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1244822
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472848
Location: Havant, Hampshire, PO7
District Council Ward: Waterloo
Built-Up Area: Horndean
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Waterlooville St George the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU 60 NE HAVANT LONDON ROAD
St Michael's Convent
Convent. 1889; by Leonard Stokes; with later additions; extensions on south 1965 by H Tompsett and Elisabeth Holliss. Buff-coloured in Flemish bond, with red brick dressings. Clay plain tile roof with gabled ends and deep swept eaves. Plain brick axial, lateral and gable-end stacks. PLAN: L-shaped on plan, with N.W wing attached to convent church added in 1922/5. Domestic Revival-Queen Anne style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Nearly symmetrical 5-bay west front; large 3-light ground floor sashes with glazing bars, cambered red brick arches, and splayed jambs integrated into wide flat red brick buttress between the windows and terminating on first floor; central entrance with wide canopy with segmental pediment, doorway under to right with band of casements to left and right; 6 small 2-light sashes on first floor with glazing bars; lateral stacks to left and right of centre with flat roof dormer between and small pediment over; 2 small flat roof dormers to left. Wing on left with wide dormer beside stack and gabled projection with large Venetian-type window; flat roof extension linking convent with church to west. Later accretions at rear (E) and 1965 extension on south end. INTERIOR: not inspected. SOURCES: Buildings of England; p.645. Gray, A. Stuart; Edwardian Architecture, p. 337.
Listing NGR: SU6875008202
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings