This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6354 / 52°38'7"N
Longitude: -1.1266 / 1°7'35"W
OS Eastings: 459201
OS Northings: 304536
OS Grid: SK592045
Mapcode National: GBR FJK.75
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.N0QZ
Entry Name: The Odeon Theatre
Listing Date: 27 August 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1245137
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468828
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Unitary Authority Ward: Castle
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: The Resurrection
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 5904 LEICESTER QUEEN STREET
718/8/10084 The Odeon Theatre
Includes: The Odeon Theatre, RUTLAND STREET
Cinema. 1936~38, converted 1974. Designed by Robert Bullivant of Harry Weedon's Office for the Odeon Cinema group. Steel and reinforced concrete with brown brick and faience tiling and flat roofs. EXTERIOR: main entrance at south-west curved corner with 3 steps up to 5 sets of late C20 double doors with projecting modern illuminated sign. Flanked by curved white tile projections with black tile band above. Above centre, 4 white faience tile buttresses with curved tops divide the 5 tall windows each with 25 panes. Flanking curved brick tower to left has horizontal banding and continuous vertical banding across the whole facade. Above set back curved parapet with horizontal banding and ODEON in large red letters. West front to Rutland Street has black faience tile ground floor with 6 brick panels and long brick panel to left corner. Above white tiling with strip of 2 triple windows to right with brick surrounds. At curved left corner a further sign with ODEON in large red letters. Facade topped with horizontal brick banding. North, Southampton Street facade has banded brick ground floor with 5 sets of doors and 2 small windows, above blank brick walls with plain pilaster strips and banded top. South, Queen Street facade has similar brick decoration. INTERIOR: circular foyer survives with some original vertical strips. Original staircase survives with fitted seating in foyer to circle and inner foyer with curved ends and curved coving. Former circular bar re-fitted c1974. Former auditorium now divided at balcony level. Former stalls retain much of original plaster decoration on walls of present outer corridors. Former circle retains seating, layout and ceiling decoration. HISTORY: this cinema was opened on 28th July 1938 with a screening of 'A Slight Case of Murder'. The seating capacity was 2,182, with 1,307 in the stalls and 875 in the circle. The cinema was divided into 3 smaller cinemas in 1974.
Listing NGR: SK5920104536
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings